Flying and softball equipment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
We are flying to Chicago next month for a showcase tournament...this is the first time we have flown with DD's equipment (TG she isn't a catcher). We have the 2014 LXT bat along with custom gloves. I am very, very nervous about checking these in. What do you all do with your bat bags and bats??

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Go to the local military surplus store and get a OD green duffle bag, one of the big ones. You can usually stuff 3 backpack softball bags into one of them and secure with TSA compatible lock. Then a 2 gun rifle case will hold 3 - 4 bats and again lock with a TSA compatible lock. Split the baggage fees with the other two players.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I went out and bought a Reebok lacrosse bag for my trips to play ball (on sale for like 25 bucks). The sides are made to hold sticks...so each side fit multiple bats and zipped closed. The main inside held all my clothes for the trip and anything else I needed.
I dont use a backpack bat bag but do for travel. So I used that as my carry on and kept my glove in there as well. Cant lose the glove.

I carried a lot of crap in that bag and never hit 50 pounds...on the way home was like 46. Never hit the extra charge for over 50 pounds :)

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
The bat is either going to need to be checked or mailed ahead. I would consider not taking it. My brother in law carries on a walking stick, but you can't carry on a bat.

Jul 26, 2010
Have her wear her uniform on the plane....The rest can be replaced on the road. The uniform can not.

Uniform and glove always carried on. The rest can be checked (and has to be checked, bats are weapons and the US Decoration of Surrender (patriot act) signed after the war on terrorism stipulates that they cannot be taken onto planes)

Gloves are hard to replace, uniforms are impossible to replace. Cleats, bats, ect can all be replaced.

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44