First taste of Varsity for DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
The #2 pitcher on our high school varsity team is slowly coming back from an injury so her innings are limited. My 7th grade DD pitches on the JV and was pulled up to varsity for a 2 day-5 game tournament this week. I could tell she was a little nervous. We talked about it some and I told her things like, "just think about what a great defense you will have playing behind you", etc. We also agreed that no matter what, stay mentally strong out there and stay low in the zone!!

She was put in three games for a total of 4 innings. Quick stats:
17 batters faced
44 total pitches, 28 strikes, 16 balls (this seems low but one inning was only 5 pitches)
1 K
0 Walks (this was my favorite stat!)
5 hits (bunt, two grounders up the middle, two hits to right-center gap)
2 ER

I think she learned real quick that most of the older girls are much more disciplined at the plate and don't chase much. She also learned the game moves much faster than JV. On hits to the OF she is supposed to back up the throw to third or home. The OF had the ball and threw it before she reacted so she wasn't in the position she was supposed to be in. Other than that I think she did very well. The varsity girls were very accepting and supportive. The varsity parents clapped and yelled for her when she came out the last inning and I could see the smile through her mask.

This was a very good learning experience for her. I believe she walked away feeling confident from her performance and also seeing the need to work on some things. I am getting ready to go thru, in detail, the "drive mechanics" thread so we can begin to improve in that area. It is a good feeling as a parent to see your kid put in the work and see it pay off for them. I appreciate more than you know the great info. I get from the pitching forum.

Mar 26, 2013
Congrats!

A top college pitcher messed up last Sunday. Ellen Renfroe (Tenn) got caught watching along the 1B line while a bad throw from LF got past the catcher - the first runner scored on the bad throw and the 2nd runner scored because Renfroe wasn't in position.

Even though they know what they're supposed to do, it takes some occasional reps to do it properly in games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogoff1968