fielding ground ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2009
how are D1 colleges teaching to field a ground ball. i learned this weekend instead of the "old school" or baseball way hands out front, soft hands pull the ball to belly or chest. to have hands out front and down, push glove to the ball and continue with glove up to throwing position. was told fastpitch game so much faster than baseball. any thoughts or comments.

Aug 2, 2008
Google Howard Kobata, buy his instructional cd's they are well worth the money, heck if you don't like them I'll buy them back from you. We teach kids how to catch the ball, transfer, and throw the ball properly before we teach them how to field grounders. To me the transition to fielding grounders is much easier this way. We start by isolating the upper body with quick snap throws, get the lower body involved, then progress to step-n-throws. Fingers up catch the ball as far in front as possible with a slight bend in the elbows, as the ball is hitting the glove they are transfering to throwing position and throwing back without any pause points. For step-n-throws they step to the ball with the glove side foot, ball hits the glove at the same time the foot hits the ground, transfer to throw while the rear leg is coming forward and turning perpendicular to the target, they are now sideways to the target and in a throwing position. I'm sorry I will stop here there is really to much to go over without the aid of a video. The point is they need learn to flow to the ball playing catch then fielding grounders will be much easier. He really covers everything you need to get started. We have had great success with his techniques and the kids pick it up very fast.

Mike

Jan 25, 2010
I have to agree with Mike, first heard about this through Frozen Ropes clinic,tryed it myself, works so much faster to get rid of the ball,very easy to teach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie