Fielders choice or hit?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Error coaching staff for not teaching 2nd base how to make a force play.

Edit: My bad cuz no stat for that.

Last edited:
May 6, 2015
I went ahead and scored it as a hit. After thinking about it, if she couldn’t throw the girl out at 2nd...no way she could have made that throw to get the runner going to 1st (she has good speed).

generally BR will be the last runner to reach the base they are forced to run to. they are finishing swing, and transitioning to running, other BR have left their base on release.

May 12, 2014
generally BR will be the last runner to reach the base they are forced to run to. they are finishing swing, and transitioning to running, other BR have left their base on release.
That’s true. Do you think SS could easily make that throw to first?

Jun 26, 2020
That’s true. Do you think SS could easily make that throw to first?
I watched on a phone so I don't have the best view. Ultimately you're the scorer it's a judgement call. I see an out at first fwiw. Definite fielder's choice. Easily isn't part of the equation though

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
The way I look at this is if experienced (and neutral) people end up arguing about whether it was an error, it's not an error. When there's doubt or debate, credit the hitter.

Late throw to 2nd. Some better technique was possible there, but no "error"...and probably no chance at 1B.

An infield base hit...there is such a thing in softball.

I've seen teams with runners so fast that unless the ball was hit sharply and fielded cleanly, there was no chance for an out. There was a time about 20 years and 40 pounds ago that even I was a tough out on any sort of hit in the hole on that side.

Nov 18, 2013
At this point in the video the SS is well into a throwing motion sand the runner is maybe half way to 1B. FC all the way.

View attachment 19041

I agree she could have got the out at first if SS was on her feet. IMO her stumble took that away and also caused a late throw to second. That’s why I’d be inclined to score it E6.

I‘m viewing it on my phone and don’t have clear view if SS stumbled. I‘d agree with FC if it’s a clean play.

Nov 4, 2015
If scored by the pitcher's dad? Error all the way. If scored by the scorekeepers in MLB? Hit all the way (I feel MLB is way too generous with hits). In my uneducated opinion? I'd call it a hit all day. Everybody hustled, no one really screwed up, and no one was put out. Could she have made a play at first, maybe if she is a really good shortstop. Cant judge hit or error based on what the best would do. It was going to take a really good effort to get an out, not ordinary effort.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13