Fielders choice or hit?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
Fielders Choice. The runner at first basically stole on the pitch and didn’t hesitate AT ALL. Routine ground ball out at first.

May 12, 2014
The way I look at this is if experienced (and neutral) people end up arguing about whether it was an error, it's not an error. When there's doubt or debate, credit the hitter.

Late throw to 2nd. Some better technique was possible there, but no "error"...and probably no chance at 1B.

An infield base hit...there is such a thing in softball.

I've seen teams with runners so fast that unless the ball was hit sharply and fielded cleanly, there was no chance for an out. There was a time about 20 years and 40 pounds ago that even I was a tough out on any sort of hit in the hole on that side.
You’re still a tough out! But I asked 5 people I know as well. 3 said it was a hit...2 said FC. Like you said, if it’s a debate score it as a hit.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
FWIW, I wouldn't even consider this an error. She was shading up the middle, had to go pretty far (at least four steps) to her right. Might have lost footing a bit, but that didn't result in any kind of dropped ball or bad throw. I don't see any way to call this an error.

The level of play matters here. Sis Bates probably gets the runner at first base. I'm gonna guess this game was not a Sis Bates-level of play.

I can see the arguments for a fielder's choice, but you have to be pretty sure the shortstop could've either gotten up and made an accurate, strong throw in time or you need to believe she could've made the throw from her knees. I'm not confident in that. IMO, her only real play was at second, and I actually have no idea how they didn't get that out.

BUT, it's a judgment call. I think what's more important for the OP's post is that a play *like* this *can* be ruled a hit. The mere act of trying for the out at second doesn't automatically make it a fielder's choice.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
IMO it's a tough play 'hit'. Though the girl stumbled, the only way she was going to make the play at first would have been to slow down and back hand it and probably take time to plant and throw faster or continue the direction she was leap one legged and a weaker throw either one would need to be a stellar play. The hit was so far in the hole for where she was playing it wag going to take a great play to make an out. I think going to her knees didn't take much off the play. as i said, stop and plant or leap. just my opinion though.

Feb 24, 2021
How should this be scored? I do the book keeping for this team. I scored it as a hit but wanted to double check. I scored it as a hit because the hit pulled the SS towards 3rd in a way she could only go to 2nd. So, in my mind, it wasn’t a choice what to do with the ball..so no fielders choice.

Fielders Choice 5 to 4... not a base hit.

Apr 20, 2015
Hit....thats not ordinary effort. The things the ncaa calls a hit have opened my eyes to ordinary effort.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dec 11, 2010
Especially in non conference play early in the season the NCAA is extremely generous with hits.

Nov 18, 2013
Especially in non conference play early in the season the NCAA is extremely generous with hits.

I didnt really see what I would consider errors or FC scored as hits off in preseason or conference play. It would have been nice for her ERA if they did!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802