Favorite Sports Movie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 22, 2013
One On One - Robby Benson

Coach finally gives Henry Steel an opportunity to play at the end of the year after running him through the ringer, pullling his scholarship and everyone in the game fouls out. Henry performs well and at the final Coach/Player meeting when the coach tells Henry that he is reinstating his scholarship, Henry says, "You can stick that scholarship up your ___ with a red hot poker! I can play anywhere I want."

Oct 19, 2009
Lots of good ones here. The Natural was always my childhood favorite, corny when I watch it now but still good. Love League of their Own and Major League (so many classic lines).

Does anyone remember: Don't Look Back - The Satchel Paige Story. It was a made for TV movie we watched in our living room when I was a kid, left a lasting impression.

Another old black and white I still like, The Pride of the Yankees about Lou Gehrig.

Aug 20, 2009
Bristol pa
Wow, This has put my memory banks into over load. Back in the day, I remember crying at the conclusion of "Bang the Drum Slowly" and "Brian's Song". My favorites that have been mentioned are "Slap Shot" and "The Raging Bull". Those are 2 all time classics. I have to put "Gladiator" and "Vision Quest" right up there as two that I could watch over and over. Yes to me, "Gladiator" is a sports movie.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2011
Texas
Excellent thread. I am forced though to categorize, these are in no particular order for me, just the best imho of each category: (I'm a baseball guy, so most will be there)

Baseball: Major League, The Natural, Bull Durham, The Sandlot, Eight Men Out, Moneyball, 61, League of Their Own, For the Love of the game
Football: We are Marshall, Remember the Titans, The Express, Radio, Brians Song, Friday Night Lights, The Program
Hockey: Slap Shot, Mystery Alaska, Mighty Ducks (The first one, I know, corny but I liked it :) )
Basketball: Hoosiers, White Men Can't Jump, Coach Carter
Racing (if that's a sport): Days of Thunder (only one I can think of right now besides Talledega Nights which is a funny Wil Ferrell one)

I can quote from all of the above. This guy I work with, we sometimes try to carry on entire work related conversation using only sporting movie quotes. Occasionally we are successful much to the annoyance of others around us. :)

Jul 2, 2012
As a former wrestler, favorite will probably always be Visionquest (great motivational song "lunatic fringe")
Rudy
For Love of the Game

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog