Extras bases on dead ball question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2012
In a U14 tournament game this weekend, the pitcher threw a wild pitch with a runner on second. The runner stole thrid but before the catcher could get to the ball it rolled into the dugout entrance. The runner stopped on third and made no attempt to steal home. The umpire called dead ball and sent the runner home. Is that the correct call?

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Sounds like it. ball out of play from IF is generally base going to + 1, ball out of play from OF is base going to +2. Unless there is an excption for throw from pitcher or softball rules are differnt from baseball (and they sometimes are) then sound like correct call was made to me.

May 16, 2010
Sounds like it. ball out of play from IF is generally base going to + 1, ball out of play from OF is base going to +2. Unless there is an excption for throw from pitcher or softball rules are differnt from baseball (and they sometimes are) then sound like correct call was made to me.

There is no such thing as base going to +1 or +2. One of the biggest myths in baseball/softball. You are not correct.

Runners are awarded bases. The award is ONE base beyond the base they held at the time of the pitch when a pitch goes out of play.
The award is two bases from their actual position when the ball left the throwers hand, on a throw that goes out of play.

The reason 1 + 1 is wrong, is that it doesn't matter what direction the runner is going. She could be heading back to first in a run down, and if the ball is thrown out of play, she is awarded two bases from her position at the time the throw was released by the fielder. Since she already was entitled to first, the AWARD gives her second and third. A base that they already touched (first in this case) is not part of the AWARD. It's a two base award, second and third.

The softball rule is always the same, two base award from the time of release.

In baseball it is two bases from time of release on a throw from the outfield, or when it is not the first play by an infielder.
It is two bases from the time of the pitch, if the wild throw is the first play by and infielder.

No such thing as 1 + 1 (or base going to +1) in baseball or softball.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2010
jbooth, my understanding is that much of that is different in USSSA softball - that's second hand, though; I've never worked those rules.

May 16, 2010
jbooth, my understanding is that much of that is different in USSSA softball - that's second hand, though; I've never worked those rules.

Nope, it's the same in USSSA fastpitch;

Sec 14. AWARDED BASES
All awarded bases must be touched. Each runner including the batter-runner is
awarded:
C. Two bases:
3. If a live thrown ball (not by a pitcher from the pitcher’s plate as in
item D) goes into a stand for spectators, or a players’ bench, or over
or through or lodges in a fence.

D. One base:
1. If a pitch by the pitcher from the pitching position on the pitcher’s
plate goes into a dead-ball area, becomes blocked, lodges in an
Umpire or catcher’s equipment.

Sec 15. An award is from the base determined as follows:
C. The time the ball last left the hand of the thrower

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio

The USSSA slow pitch rules are different. They follow the baseball guidelines about first play by an infielder, etc. They also have some other strange interpretations about awarded bases when a runner leaves early on a catch, then the ball is thrown out of play. There, the base left too soon is counted as the first base of the runner's award. So, if the runner started out on first, left early on the catch, then the ball was thrown out of play, he would only get second base.

But that's slow pitch and it's only for U-Trip. No need to concern ourselves about it here!

Jul 16, 2012
There is no such thing as base going to +1 or +2. One of the biggest myths in baseball/softball. You are not correct.

Runners are awarded bases. The award is ONE base beyond the base they held at the time of the pitch when a pitch goes out of play.

So the situation I described, the runner was on second when the ball was pitched. She was on third when the ball went into the dugout. So she shouldn't have been awarded home?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad