Exploding Bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2010
I go and watch Softball when I can just To watch and not have to Coach. Well this last week I went and watched a HS tournemant.
Some real quality players, good pitching , great hits, Met some neat folks too.
But in one game a girl gets up to bat with a solid Black bat the first pitch came in kind of high, just about the numbers, she conected REAL solid and the bat barrel just blew into about 50 peices the handle was all that was left.

You will be curious so here are some details.
It was cold about 38 degrees with steady wind. The pitcher was throwing about 55 tops I would guess. The girl with the bat was about 6 foot 180 and looked real strong and athletic.
I think the bat was a Demarini But am not positive. Right after it happened there was a horrible smell .
Any thoughts??

Jul 19, 2008
But of course, if it was 38 degrees which is over 20 degrees colder than it should be for using the bat,, it must have been an illegal bat because it broke in cold weather conditions.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I don't think there's any manufacturer that recommends swinging their bats at temps less than 55 degrees F. I have DD use one of her BP bats when its less than 50. Surprised that OP didn't see more comps blow up.

Jul 26, 2010
Did the bat say A.C.M.E on it?

Seriously though, this is bothersome due to the number of pieces/splinters. Composite materials can be quite sharp when broken. I hope no one was injured.

It was way too cold to use a composite bat, as mentioned.

-W

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
But of course, if it was 38 degrees which is over 20 degrees colder than it should be for using the bat,, it must have been an illegal bat because it broke in cold weather conditions.

I think the question about the ump confiscating the bat was appropriate. Assume for a minute that the bat was completely legal and not tampered with. If the ump let the team pick up the pieces and take them away, it wouldn't matter if it were a cold day or not. By the end of the season every team in the area will have heard the story about the "illegal" bat. If the ump collects the pieces and nothing happens, then everyone will hear about the bat that broke because it was too cold.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
That crossed my mind, too, China. Rumors would be rampant.

I wonder if the bat had been in a "warmer." I think that ASA allows those now. (??) So, you take a hot bat and a frozen ball, I see how it could explode. I searched and found reports of one Demarini doing this.

Oh, and it isn't the bat that is the problem in cold weather, as much as it is the ball.

I would think that Demarini might like to know about exploding bats, under any condition.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Amy is right. In cold weather, the ball actually becomes "heavier/denser", and the increased momentum that results can shatter a composite bat. I can't imagine the manufacturer would honor a warranty under those conditions.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
The only bat I know that goes down to 50 is the Rip It. For that reason the dd has one for cold high school games. Rest use 60 as the cut off. Plus keep in mind when it that cold the ball is like a rock. Those that play golf can understand.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd