Enlighten me

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2014
Been slow at work...so, I've been thinking about, what else, softball! Growing up, I was never into baseball. Just football and basketball. My DD is in love with softball. So, my question is who hits where in the lineup? I've heard the term cleanup, etc. Don't know what they mean. I just see the lineup 1-9. Is 1 the best batter, 5 middle of the pack hitter, and 9 the worst?

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Been slow at work...so, I've been thinking about, what else, softball! Growing up, I was never into baseball. Just football and basketball. My DD is in love with softball. So, my question is who hits where in the lineup? I've heard the term cleanup, etc. Don't know what they mean. I just see the lineup 1-9. Is 1 the best batter, 5 middle of the pack hitter, and 9 the worst?

My experience has been: 1 & 2 fast and gets on base (high OBP), 3 and 4 power hitters who will move 1 & 2, 5-7 mix of slappers/clean up, 8 & 9 weak/inconsistent hitters

May 12, 2014
Thanks Maksoftball! What does the term cleanup mean? Some of the parents are always talking softball and I want to be able to join in. haha.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Generally I go this way: 1 has a high on base percentage (OBP). Ideally she is fast, maybe a slapper, but you work with what you have. You don't want slow, though. 2 is a good contact hitter. Ideally she has a high OBP too, but you'd like her to put the ball in play a lot regardless. 3 is your best all-around hitter, i.e., hits for power, hits for average, tough to get out. You want her to be able to move 1&2 around, and have one of them score. 4 tends to be your biggest power hitter. Her batting average may not be quite as good, but when she hits it the balls flies off her bat. 5 is the second best all-around hitter - essentially she'd be 3 if 3 wasn't on the team.

From there, 6, 7 and 8 can be a mixed bag. They're usually strong defensive players. I usually see 6 and 7 being the weakest hitters, with 8 either being a second 4 (in case anyone gets on base in front of her) or more like 1&2. 9 is often like 1, and would be your lead-off if 1 wasn't there. Again, a good spot for a high OBP slapper, maybe one who is developing, because you have the top of the lineup coming up behind her. Overall, you want to get your best bats at the top of the lineup so they get the most turns at bat.

I've also seen it where 1 is more of a power hitter, like a 3, and 2 is like a 5. You do that, I think, if you have pretty good ability to get on base up and down the lineup and want to give your big bats every opportunity to bring the others around. Having your leadoff hitter smack a double or triple to start the first inning does set a nice tone for the game. I've been lucky enough to have girls who could both hit like that and run fast from time to time and it's exciting. Sometimes it makes you want to choose visitor just to put the other team on its heels.

So the first lineup is kind of the standard, but it's not the only way to go. It really depends on your personnel. If you have a lot of rabbits and a couple of turtles you'll probably prepare it differently than if you have a lot of turtles and a couple of rabbits.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The "cleanup" hitter is the 4 spot. In theory, your first 3 batters get on base, and your big hitter hits a HR, and clears ("cleans up") the bases. Rarely does it ever work out that way.

When I put together a batting order, I tend to look at it this way...

1 - Highest on-base percentage (OBP), and lots of speed.
2 - High average hitter with good speed
3 - Power hitter with speed (I like having my best hitter in this spot to make sure they have an AB in the first inning)
4 - Power hitter
5 - High batting average (this spot tends to get a lot of RBIs bringing home the top of the order)
6 - Moderate hitter
7 - Weaker hitter
8 - Weaker hitter
9 - Decent hitter with a good OBP (I like having a runner on base when we get to the top of the lineup the second time)

Of course, you can only work with what you have. So, this plan doesn't always happen.

Last edited:
May 12, 2014
Thanks for the great feedback. Our coach publishes the team stats...So, now I'm taking what I learned and applying it to the stats (even though stats don't tell the whole story)

May 12, 2014
Ok, here's our Lineup (and updated stats based on what the coach just published from fall ball)

1. #10 BA = 500 OBP 714
2. #13 BA = 375 OBP 500
3. #6 BA = 750 OBP 857
4. #11 BA = 308 OBP 357
5. #5 BA = 167 OBP 444
6. #4 BA = 750 OBP 769
7. #7 BA = 500 OBP 727
8. #23 BA = 500 OBP 818
9. #20 BA = 444 OBP 545
10. #17 BA = 375 OBP 545
11 #1 BA = 111 OBP 200

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
1) AC's dd
2) Other AC's DD
3) HC's Oldest DD
4) HC's other DD
5) HC's DD's Best Friend
6) Pitcher (just kidding the pitchers are already batting 1-3) Best hitter not related
7) Next best hitter
8) Next best hitter
9) Actual best hitting with speed who has the gall to be better then the coaches kids

Just kidding, I figured someone would do it. I like the way Eric has it set up

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13