Enjoying DD playing other positions!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2009
My DD has primarily pitched. This year is her first real opportunity to play other positions. She recorded her first two tag outs at 2nd base playing SS on throw downs. Came close to recording 4 on the weekend. Also made a great dig at 1st where she really stretched out to get the ball.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Especially at younger ages, I'm a strong believer in building players who are effective at multiple positions. Parents who insist that their kid is to only play one position is limiting their value to a team.

One of the challenges I often face with this situation is kids who don't get to play their preferred position giving a half-a$$ed effort elsewhere. More than a few times, a there has been a team discussion about developing as "ballplayers" with the skills to play EVERY position.

May 18, 2009
We have a young 10U team. Three primary pitchers including my DD. When the other pitchers are in DD plays their backup spot, SS or 1st.

DD plays both positions very well. Depth of team is our biggest weakness. It almost seems like each girl should be able to play 3 spots. We lack that ability. Some of our OF need to work on IF positions so our depth improves.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
For my DD's 10U team, all players run through the same practice drills - infielders, outfielders, pitchers, and catchers. Everyone needs to know how to field grounders with good technique, run to catch fly balls, and know what base to throw in a game situations. My DD is primarily a catcher, but during the 4 weeks of our all-star season, she also played 1B, 2B, 3B, and LF. Not one player on the team played only one position. Most played in at least 3 different spots at some point during tournament play.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44