Emotional past few days for me.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
Thanks everyone. She got her wheel chair in this morning, so she's in a better mood. She's doing so much better at this point than I was expecting.

She has an Xbox 360 that never gets used, but we wanted to get her a game or 2 to help with the boredom. She cant believe Xbox don't have softball games. :D

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Well, Wii has baseball, which is sort of an imitation softball, I think.

Speedy and full recovery for your daughter. This will seem like forever for her, no matter how fast it goes.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
Thank you for this story, because I had nearly lost all faith in softball, today. Let me know, if your DD needs anything.

Amy, there are many many stories like this, and stories of good sportsmanship in the game that we all love, that we will never hear about. Stories like this don't sell any newspaper, or make good headlines.

To the OP, thank you for the heartwarming story. Needed that today. Good luck to her and I hope the recovery is as smooth as possible. We had to make the same call last year with my DD needing scoliosis surgery. DR said we could wait till she finished high school (was right before freshman year started) or do it now. Best chance to fix it without complications was to do it ASAP. She had surgery on July 31, 2014. She is on her way back to being released to do almost all previous activities. (no bat swinging yet)

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
Amy, there are many many stories like this, and stories of good sportsmanship in the game that we all love, that we will never hear about. Stories like this don't sell any newspaper, or make good headlines.

To the OP, thank you for the heartwarming story. Needed that today. Good luck to her and I hope the recovery is as smooth as possible. We had to make the same call last year with my DD needing scoliosis surgery. DR said we could wait till she finished high school (was right before freshman year started) or do it now. Best chance to fix it without complications was to do it ASAP. She had surgery on July 31, 2014. She is on her way back to being released to do almost all previous activities. (no bat swinging yet)

That's great to hear! I needed that. :D

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
A hard situation to deal with but it sounds like you have some fine young athletes on your team. They definitely have you and DD's back.

A speedy recovery to your DD. Good luck Coach.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
I just wanted to give an update on DD#2.

We were told going in, that the surgery had a 50% success rate. If the surgery was a failure, she would need another surgery to fuse the bone plates together. We wouldn't know if the 1st surgery was a success until close to a year after.

It's been 8 months since the surgery and she's doing great. Physical therapy was real tough and long. She's done with PT and is wearing a brace that fits in her shoe. The Dr says she shows every sign of coming through fine. She's progressed so well, that he released her to play softball yesterday!

This kid has been asking nearly every week since the surgery if she was going to get to play this year. It's been gut wrenching knowing she may not get to play.

I just wanted to share her progress with y'all and thanks for all the prayers.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
Great news!!! I know exactly what you are going through. I am sitting here at my desk at work with tears in my eyes just reading and thinking back about the year we had after surgery. It sucks watching your kid not being able to do anything that they want to do. Many tears were shed at our household over our year of recovery. Tell your DD to hang in there, and it will get better. Great news that she is back to being able to play. Glad to hear it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06