Emotional past few days for me.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
Please bare with me...

DD#2 (11 yo)was born with too much bone in her ankle (tarsal coalition). We knew she would have a surgery one day, just didn't know when. Well, this spring, the Doc said it was time. DD had been hurting a good bit in recent months.

The choice my wife and I had was, do the surgery now or after school. While I hated her spending most of the summer in a cast, it was the better option, as she would have missed several weeks of school.

I tried to talk her out of playing summer ball. She's been hurting so much just walking around at school. She wouldn't hear of it. She wanted to play as long as she could.

She doesn't have the natural ability as DD#1, but goodness do I admire her love of the game. She's 100% all the time. This year, she really took a step up and despite the bum foot, she was one of the better players in the league.

As the surgery got closer, I was really struggling with it. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I figure it was guilt as to choosing the summer for the surgery, knowing how tough the recovery will be, and/or the fact that she might not play again, but I was a wreck all week.

The surgery was this past Friday. Tuesday's game was rained out. Down to one more game for her (Thursday). Well, the 12u coach called and asked for an extra player for a double header before our scheduled game. I asked DD and she was all for it. Keep in mind, this kid wears a boot nearly all day and takes it off just to play ball, then back in the boot. There was no danger of further damage, it's just a matter of the pain she can deal with. I told her I'd let her play the 1st game and we play the 2nd by ear.

She played all 3 games back to back to back. Got 2 hits for the 12u team as well. After the game, the girls presented her with a signed, team ball. They went outside the dugout and prayed for her.

I've coached a lot of rec ball games over the years. I've had many of proud moments with my players, but never have I had a moment like this night. It was all I could do to keep it together and I was probably the only dry eyes at the field.

Just a reminder about the good in softball. These kids, unknown to them, helped myself and my DD more than I'll ever be able to help them. It's been an honor to be their coach.

teamprayer.jpg

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Wow. What an awesome gesture by the team.

I wish you DD a speedy recovery and return the the game she loves.

Oct 3, 2009
That is simply awesome. And I will be praying for a very speedy recovery for your daughter. Thank you for sharing!

Mar 28, 2013
If It was just about winning and losing or scholarships It would hardly be worth the effort. THESE are the rare moments that come along and remind you that its all worth it.Best wishes in the surgery and recovery. but its not to early to imagine a kid with that much love of the game playing it pain free!!:D

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Thank you for this story, because I had nearly lost all faith in softball, today. Let me know, if your DD needs anything.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06