Dropped Third Strike rule?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I say this also applies and I would argue it on such a play. Whether the batter meant to draw the defense off or not...

The interpretation is that this is NOT automatically interference. To interfere with a play means that the player must impede the defense's ability to record an out. Since this batter cannot be retired with a throw to first, if the catcher throws to first nothing was interfered with- no out to be had equals no interference. That is, the catcher was NOT "attempting to execute a play" as the rule requires.

If the catcher was making a play on the other runner- who is liable to be put out- then the batter could be called out if she interfered with the throw or the catcher while out of the batter's box. That can really only happen two ways on this one: If the runner is going to second and the batter actually interferes with that throw, or; If the runner is going back into first and the batter actually interferes with that throw.

Otherwise, all you have is a live ball and an unecessary throw being made by the catcher- no interference.

Nov 29, 2009
When is 1st base considered occupied? Obviously if the runner that was on first prior to the pitch is still standing there. What about if a runner at first takes off to steal 2nd at pitch release. Is that runner currently "occupying first base" or is first base now open for the purpose of the DTS call on the batter? I thumbed through my ASA book, but couldn't find the rule on this situation.

The runner must be in contact with the base at the time of the pitch. They can not leave the base UNTIL the ball is out of the pitcher's hand. Also, the runner is still considered on the last bast they touched UNTIL they have established possession of the base they are heading to.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves