Dropped Third Strike rule?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2010
During yesterday's ballgame our ump called a girl out on the opposing team because on the dropped third strike she tried to run to 1st without swinging at the 3rd strike. But when one of our girls got up there and did the same thing she said you didn't have to swing at the last strike that as long as the catcher dropped it the batter could run. I am confused!? Which is it? I thought you had to swing at the last strike to be able for that rule to apply. And of course the other team was mad (understandably) because she had called them out for it and not us.

Oct 18, 2009
You do not need to swing on a dropped third strike to attempt to take first unless there is a runner on first with less than two outs.

Was first base occupied with less than 2 outs when the first girl did it?

May 5, 2008
fastpitch is right ANY dropped 3rd strike swinging or not counts as a dropped 3rd. However, if 1st base is occupied and there are less than 2 outs, the batter is out regardless of if the 3rd strike is dropped or not.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
A strike is a strike is a strike....

For the purpose of this rule, it doesn't matter if the third strike was a swinging strike or a called (non-swinging) strike. They're both treated exactly the same, regardless of the number of outs or what runners are on base.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2009
SoCal - OC
When is 1st base considered occupied? Obviously if the runner that was on first prior to the pitch is still standing there. What about if a runner at first takes off to steal 2nd at pitch release. Is that runner currently "occupying first base" or is first base now open for the purpose of the DTS call on the batter? I thumbed through my ASA book, but couldn't find the rule on this situation.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Correct. It's if first base was occupied "at the time of the pitch".

First base is considered to be the base occupied up until the point where the runner has actually advanced to and touched/passed second base. Where I usually see confusion about this rule is in baseball, where the runners can lead off and steal prior to the release of the pitch. There, a runner could be almost all the way to second before the pitch is even thrown. But for the purpose of this rule, first base would still be considered as "occupied" at the time of the pitch.

It's a little bit easier in fastpitch, where a runner can't leave a base until the pitch is released. In this game, the runner better be touching first base at the time of the pitch, or else she is out for leaving base too soon!

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
Recently, one of my players struck out. I'm not sure what the catcher did, but she not only dropped the ball, it got behind her. In her attempt to turn and get the ball, she kicked it back towards the backstop. Because our players sprint to 1st, 1st base coach realizing what was happening, sent her to 2nd. Umpire made her go back to 1st, said she could only advance one base on dropped 3rd strike?!? i was like what?, show me that. He would have none of it. I looked in the rules and couldn't find it. Isn't that ball still live until back in the circle? lost game 3-2

Aug 16, 2010
Recently, one of my players struck out. I'm not sure what the catcher did, but she not only dropped the ball, it got behind her. In her attempt to turn and get the ball, she kicked it back towards the backstop. Because our players sprint to 1st, 1st base coach realizing what was happening, sent her to 2nd. Umpire made her go back to 1st, said she could only advance one base on dropped 3rd strike?!? i was like what?, show me that. He would have none of it. I looked in the rules and couldn't find it. Isn't that ball still live until back in the circle? lost game 3-2

I believe you are correct. My understanding that even if 1st base is occupied with less than 2 outs - as they often do - girls will sprint to 1st anyway after a s/o. Often times the catcher - caught off guard - will throw and when she does other runners advance because of an errant throw, mishandled ball or runner on third. I believe those runner are free to advance at their own risk - even though batter is out. Not sure what I said made sense - but though I'd try.

Apr 13, 2010

Here in 10U we have a "you can only steal one base at a time" rule. That changes at 12U though. Ump was wrong unless you were under some special rule like we have in 10U.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves