Double clutching catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
Yep. The faked effort is to catch the intentionally overthrown ball, but the OF has moved in position behind and the ball is actually thrown straight toward her. No tag, a player would be ejected for faking a tag without the ball. Runner either mistakenly heads for next base immediately and is thrown out, or starts to but turns back and gets thrown out or caught in rundown. Tons of fun when executed well.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Intentional overthrow on steal - at what level? Agree that a good back up on a bad throw can catch the runner off base, but if you're good enough to want to run or work on an intentional overthrow play, then why are you conceed the SB in the first place?

Jan 15, 2009
If you see a kid slap on to first base with great speed and realize your going to have difficulty throwing them out at 2B this play is an option.

It's risky, You better not pull it our more than once a month or teams will know and eliminate any chance of reward. I'm aware of two teams that run it and I wasn't playing them but saw them pull it out, and I'll coach my kids pregame about it if we play them.

The thing about trick plays is that sometimes it's worth it just because they are fun, You may only practice them once or twice a month, but the girls think they are hilarious and can't wait to try to execute them. So maybe you pull this out in pool play as a reward for the kids working hard in practice, but it's not a key part of winning National Championships.

Oct 18, 2009
This past weekend on a 12U league game we had a girl catch for the 1st time. She is an exceptional athlete with a gun for an arm. She was the usual 3B so another girl was at 3B while she was catching. Runner broke for 3b, catcher threw down to 3b on a rope. As the 3b was going back to the bag she didn't have time to look up and almost got nailed in the head. The throw would have beat the runner by a mile but the 3b wasn't ready.

Should the SS be covering the bag on that play?

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
If you are describing what I think you are, yes, but I might have the situation wrong. 3B should hit the ground and SS should have the bag. 3B cannot see the runner, she has her back to her, esp if playing up for bunt, etc.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
If you see a kid slap on to first base with great speed and realize your going to have difficulty throwing them out at 2B this play is an option.

It's risky, You better not pull it our more than once a month or teams will know and eliminate any chance of reward. I'm aware of two teams that run it and I wasn't playing them but saw them pull it out, and I'll coach my kids pregame about it if we play them.

The thing about trick plays is that sometimes it's worth it just because they are fun, You may only practice them once or twice a month, but the girls think they are hilarious and can't wait to try to execute them. So maybe you pull this out in pool play as a reward for the kids working hard in practice, but it's not a key part of winning National Championships.

Also used at 1st and 3rd on pickoff throwdowns, etc. Used very sparingly, but can make a difference in the right situation. If a team is advanced enough to afford to spend time on specialty plays , they are usually going to be a contender for national championship, ie, top 12 finisher or such.

Jan 15, 2009
Also used at 1st and 3rd on pickoff throwdowns, etc. Used very sparingly, but can make a difference in the right situation. If a team is advanced enough to afford to spend time on specialty plays , they are usually going to be a contender for national championship, ie, top 12 finisher or such.

It's not necessarily an indication of teams advanced level as a reflection of the coach or program. Only one of the two I see is a great team. The other is coached by someone that wants you to know how well the team is coached, so they run plays like this. IMO If it was a positive percentage play you'd see it more at the college level. Fun for the girls, yes. Effective in the right situation, yes. In an important game between equally matched teams will it generates positive results more often than negative results? I'm not a believer.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
Personally not seen it used by any weak teams. And when properly done an onlooker would just think the catcher made a bad throw and the defense got lucky.

I know one team that does use it, and they have many finishes in the top few at ASA nationals.

Winning isnt necessarily about having a better team, its about playing a better game. Girls of lesser ability can beat better teams when coached well. Knowing how to exploit weaknesses and capitalize on them is part of coaching. Something as minor as the direction a pitcher always turns when she recieves the ball back from catcher can play a role in losing a game, and she is unaware of it.

i think Paul "Bear" Bryant said: I can beat you with my players, I can beat you with your players, Ill just plain beat you.

Things do change at Div I college level, just like in baseball. The number of great hitters is so concentrated , most teams can rely on the long ball almost exclusively. It really becomes a different game at that level. How many top Div I schools play a strong close game? Emulating that is not necessarily a recipe for sucess at lower levels.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06