Does walking a batter?...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Most travel ball teams average 1 run per inning, or more. So putting a batter on base in the middle of a team's lineup probably increases the chances of the opponent scoring more runs, even if it's a great hitter getting the free pass. The higher the level, the lower the run expectancy, the more the IW might make sense, but in most travel ball settings, I'd guess it's not a good idea.

Also, as a coach, my priority would be player development, so I'd rather see my pitcher compete vs. a good hitter than me complete against the opposing coach.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I think it is a matter of outs, and believe it or not sometimes runs.
• Intentionally walking a batter with no outs could be a decision you might rue.
• Working around a difficult batter to get to "weakness" would be viable but how often does that happen where weakness follows right behind strength?
• One of the more frequent excuses to intentionally walk a batter is to create a double-play, but ground ball double-plays are less frequent than in baseball. But the exception might be with an exceptionally slow batter-base runner.
• Isn't it more justified to intentionally walk a particularly dangerous and historically successful batter more when runners are on, say at 2nd base especially? But with runners at 2nd and 3rd, must the pitcher pitch to the batter; they can't "pitch around around them" if your pitcher lacks control or the nerve to pitch with the bases loaded? With a runner at 3rd base is walking that batter a good idea when doing so would set up a more difficult defensive situation; even possibly 2 runners in scoring position?
• But one situation you can walk the batter is in the International Tie Breaker as the visitor IF THE GAME IS TIED. The home team can only score 1 run to win (except on a home-run), so additional base-runners are meaningless.
• Once you have the lead in late innings or in the ITB, putting the tying or winning runs on makes less sense. In other words, if you are the Visiting team in the tie-breaker, with the lead, an intentional walk puts the opposition one step closer to beating you.
Good read.
Relieve pressure
Create pressure
Same pressure

Would agree creates pressure in that runners on base represent a possible run.

To let a pitcher know its ok if they walk a batter might appear to take pressure off. Dont think it actually does if they still have to throw pitches by them. And they know their putting a runner on.

While walking a batter intentionally to say create a force out may BE strategic.
It can complicate a defensive play depending on where the ball is hit or small ball moment. As well still have an extra runner on base.

Heck if putting a batter on base that intent is to trust the defense.
How about trust the defense in the first place and dont intentionally put batter on base!

I do like the element of catcher involved back picks to get outs.
Which is great tool because outs can be had without the batter producing anything.
Remove base runners takes pressure off!

Generally if playing competitively the entire line up can hit. :)
Playing average the entire line up can get lucky. ;)
In either situation is pressure.
The pitcher and defense still have to face the next batter and perform.

Prefer
NO FREE BASES!
While keeping strategy options open!

The answer to this may be a game by game decision?!

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
I typically hate walking batters but we had one girl on our team who was a HR machine. After facing a few of the same teams and pitchers who she took yard multiple times, you’d think they’d learn. One game she put 3 out on the same pitcher. Umm...after the first 2 you still thought you could get her?? ?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I typically hate walking batters but we had one girl on our team who was a HR machine. After facing a few of the same teams and pitchers who she took yard multiple times, you’d think they’d learn. One game she put 3 out on the same pitcher. Umm...after the first 2 you still thought you could get her?? ?
Thats fun to watch!
The Mighty Masher!!! ?
So dont walk the batters befor her ?

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
It's generally bad!

I've only done it one time ever. The batter in question was the only girl on the other team who could really hit, from what I saw, and the time before she hit one of the hardest balls I've ever seen at our level of play. It happened to go right at my shortstop for an out. She came up with 2 outs and runners on second and third. I forget the score at the time, but we ended up losing 4-0 (the other pitcher pitched a perfect game with 21 strikeouts).

At that point, I did it because I knew we couldn't afford to give up a big hit because scoring runs was going to be close to impossible. If my pitcher walked the next hitter, well, that was the risk I was taking.

She got the next hitter to hit one back to her and we got out of the inning. Ultimately didn't matter because their pitcher was unhittable for our girls.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
A few years ago, Georgia had a hitter, Alex Hugo, who was on fire, hitting a bunch of homers, and she was walked with nobody on base. I think it was Florida or Alabama that did it. The rest of Georgia's lineup was struggling at the time against elite pitchers, and the thinking was that Georgia couldn't score unless Hugo hit one out. Maybe somebody else remembers that.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
I know best the abilities of my team. So I ask myself the following questions:

Did the opposition earn the position they are in?
Did we did we commit errors?
Was it a bad call by an umpire?
Does walking the batter purposely put us in a better position defensively to get the out(s) we need?
What have the current and next hitter done against our pitcher that day?
Should I change pitchers?
Should I employ a defensive shift?

Based on the responses I will decide how to proceed.

Jul 2, 2013
Intentional walks are sometimes the right call. Check out the video of the D-Backs up two with two out in the bottom of the ninth issuing an IBB with the bases loaded. Of course it was to one of the greatest hitters in the game...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mbatistejr