Does anyone else think the CWS plate umpires have been bad?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 28, 2008
As well as base-running, it seems. Not tagging up at 2nd and then R2 jogging into a tag after an infield fly for UT. What the heck?

NO DOUBT. I screamed through my tv when a runner from 3rd ran towards home, and then didn't tag on the fly ball that was dropped. They gave up a run, while the batter gave up her hit by going to the dugout. I think the base coaches must be sleeping due to the heat because that was just pure rec ball on both bases.

I love U of A, but I came unglued last night when game was still 3-2 they had runners at 1'st and 2'nd and the slapper hit the ball in front of the lead runner, TN got the out at 3'rd and then fired to 2'nd and unbelievably got a double play because the runner didn't slide or dive. That was just 101 kind of stuff, you NEVER hit in front of the lead runner with no outs, and you ALWAYS go down for a close play so that the umps eyes go down with you. I felt much better after the home run got the insurance runs, but blood was still boiling.

I guess with all of the home runs these days coaches just aren't spending the time on the basics anymore. Such a shame to encourage all of my players to watch, watch, watch and then have sooooo many really bad examples being set for them. Lots of teaching material for me though.

Oct 25, 2009
I don't understand why there hasn't been more uproar about the umpiring in the last game. The umps were all over Arizona. They never once called #24, Macon I think, for UCLA. She was a good 6-8" outside of the pitching lane consistently. She would land on her lead foot, throw the ball across the outside corner to a lefty batter, and hop to a final plant back into the lane. Never called once!!!!

If you have access to a recording of her pitching take a look at it.

And it did have an affect on the outcome! Arizona got 9 runs; wonder what they would have scored if the game had been fair?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish