Does anyone else think the CWS plate umpires have been bad?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 3, 2010
Honestly they are calling strikes chalk to chalk. I hate it when the game becomes even more of a pitchers duel because the umpires call a FAT zone. It is hard enough to hit in this game without 30" wide strike zone. No need for it. OK, I am done. Otherwise good softball.

Sep 3, 2009
Depends which one you're talking about. In the MU/UH game, the zone was indeed very fat. But it was fat for both teams, so really it's a non-issue. Consistency would be nice across all the games.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The Georgia Tennessee game was a circus. The umpire was bad, but the Georgia catcher was clueless. She wasn't framing pitches. Seriously-there were better defensive catchers at the 14U tourney in Edmonds.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Some of these catchers are worn out. Chambers looks like she is tired (U of A) - and why wouldn't she be? It is 100+ with humidity. Change out those catchers!

Amy

May 25, 2010
That call at 3rd in the Washington game was total crap. Doubt he'll even admit he was wrong. The question is whether the higher-ups will protect him.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It surprised me, too. I did feel that she momentarily stopped, though (going back) and that is when she got rang up. But, then, the announcers said that they were showing it in slow motion.

Then, there was that warning at first base, when the runner and first baseman barely, barely touched each other. ??

Jun 3, 2010
Most of my dislike has been toward the wide strike zone. In addition to umpiring, I have been totally unimpressed with the defensive play on the field. I am wondering if this is following baseball in so far as the infatuation with hitting? Along those lines where are the next Natasha Watleys? AZ's team is all big girls, not near as much put it on the ground and run. With all the new focus on power hitting, maybe defense is taking a backseat at all levels.

Jul 11, 2009
That call at 3rd in the Washington game was total crap. Doubt he'll even admit he was wrong. The question is whether the higher-ups will protect him.

Sure appears like they are looking for the slightest reason to enforce a rule. She was on her way back to 3rd. I am not sure she hesitated and even if she did it was a lapse in judgement, certainly not trying to bait pitcher which I believe is thr intent of the rule. She was not even looking at the pitcher during her stroll back so there is no way she was intentionally hesitating.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA