Does a pitcher have to entirely hide or 'glove' the ball before starting the pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2024
I have a pitcher that holds her ball in her pitching hand and never brings it to her glove until she begins her pitching motion. Even then she just rests it on the outside of the glove on top of the pocket. From there she continues her motion to pitch. Does the ball need to be entirely hidden or 'gloved' when she brings her hands together before starting her pitching motion?

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
I have a pitcher that holds her ball in her pitching hand and never brings it to her glove until she begins her pitching motion. Even then she just rests it on the outside of the glove on top of the pocket. From there she continues her motion to pitch. Does the ball need to be entirely hidden or 'gloved' when she brings her hands together before starting her pitching motion?
The only requirement in most if not all rulebooks is that the pitcher brings her hands together and then separates them as she starts her delivery. Bringing the hands together can be as simple as the hand holding the ball and the glove join. Even touching the ball to the glove suffices. The pitcher just cannot keep the hand/ball and glove separated as she starts her motion. There is absolutely no requirement to physically stick the ball inside the glove so that it disappears from view.

Jul 26, 2024
hands together, discernable pause (1-10 secs) and go
I guess my question is more specifically... is what she is doing defined as "bringing the hands together"? Her hands are 'together'; the ball is just not inside the glove. It is difference, but I don't know if it constitutes an illegal pitch. Does the ball have to be inside her glove pocket or can it rest outside and visible when the hands are 'together'.

Jul 26, 2024
The only requirement in most if not all rulebooks is that the pitcher brings her hands together and then separates them as she starts her delivery. Bringing the hands together can be as simple as the hand holding the ball and the glove join. Even touching the ball to the glove suffices. The pitcher just cannot keep the hand/ball and glove separated as she starts her motion. There is absolutely no requirement to physically stick the ball inside the glove so that it disappears from view.
Thank you.

Aug 9, 2021
I'd be more concerned with tipping the hitter to the pitch that is coming. I watched a girl do this all last tournament...we scored 10+ on her.

Edit: Her delivery varied from pitch to pitch as well. Wasn't just the grip she was broadcasting.

Jun 20, 2015
the ump pulled the rule book out to show me and let me read it last fall. and i looked it up as well.

2024 USA softball rules. PDF, page 63, rule 6a, section 1- D&E.
D. While in contact with the pitcher’s plate, the pitcher shall take a signal or appear to take a signal with the hands separated. The ball must remain in either the glove or pitching hand.
E. The pitcher shall bring the hands together for not less than one second and not more than 10 seconds before releasing the ball, a backward step may be taken before, simultaneous with or after the hands are brought together. The pivot foot must remain in contact with the pitcher’s plate at all times prior to the forward step

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
oh i beg to differ. i don't have the citation, but the ump pulled the rule book out to show me and let me read it.
What ruleset did this ump pull out and show you? I am not aware of any ruleset that says there must be a pause, simply that the hands must be brought together for not less than 1 second and not more than 10.

What ruleset where you playing under, I can access most of them.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T Town travel coach