Dd pitching opinion needed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
This young pitcher is strong. However, she is using a very weak step style. THAT is holding her back.

She is not pushing off at all and is getting no benefit from the legs. Watch her stride length and stride speed closely. It changes alot from very slow. short and relaxed to a little longer, faster and more aggressive. She KNOWS she can throw faster than she does now.

Watch her follow through very closely as well. That is also very inconsistant from one pitch to the next.

You should change her to leap and drag that will allow her to throw her fastest.

I would suspect an accuracy problem without consistane stride and release point. Cant really see the release point in the video but I would suspect up and down accury issues.

Jun 23, 2013
I love hearing what others have to say because I am such a newbie at this, but what I notice is a weak leg follow through. She seems to have a lot of upper body strength though so work those legs in better and she'll get it.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Take this with a grain of salt because I am just a bucket dad, but may first impression was that this kid has some serious power. The upper body motion looks fluid also. How old is she? and how fast is her average pitch? From this angle everything she is doing with her upper body looks good but the lower body looks weak and disconnected so I agree with what Halskinner said about leg drive and going to a leap-drag. It would help if there was a rear view to see the plane of the arm circle and shoulder/hips alignment through the motion since it looks like her arm may be bending over her head at the top of the circle.

Jul 14, 2008
I can't tell if she's a leap/Drag or step pitcher from a "warm up" clip.........I'm not sure how you guys can...........

Regardless, if this is the extent of her leg use during her actually motion, she will benefit from learning to drive OFF the mound and drag her back toe............

Something she should be taught is that the pitching plate to PUSH FROM, not to PITCH FROM.......

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
BM, Here is how I tell the difference between the two styles.

If the pivot foot comes forward of the rubber AFTER the stride foot touches down, it is a step style pitch.

If the pivot foot comes forward of the rubber BEFORE the stride foot touches down, it is a leap and drag pitch.

In the video I am seeing different stride lengths and speeds with every pitch. That in itself is going to throw the timing of EVERYTHING else off. That might also explain the different speeds and ending heights of the follow through, she is trying to make adjustments with every pitch to make it feel 'Right'. I have zero doubts about that at all.

Get the stride consistant and the timing of the arm cicle will be consistant shortly after. Whatever other mechanics issues she might have, some or most will iron themselves out.

Stride length, stride speed and the timing of the arm circle, 'The Big 3', in my opinion. Other issues are lesser issues in my opinion. Get the big 3 right and THEN focus in on the 'Other' problems. That game plan always worked for me and my students.

Last edited:
May 29, 2013
Thank you all for the suggestions and honest feedback. She's 15, 5'2, and her average speed is i don't know. Have not had the opportunity to clock her.

Jul 14, 2008
BM, Here is how I tell the difference between the two styles.

If the pivot foot comes forward of the rubber AFTER the stride foot touches down, it is a step style pitch.

If the pivot foot comes forward of the rubber BEFORE the stride foot touches down, it is a leap and drag pitch.

Duh.....REALLY???......Your a real rocket scientist Captain Obvious..........

You missed the whole point..........She is PRACTICING.........Maybe warming up??? How the hell can you make a determination on how she ACTUALLY PITCHES based on a warm-up or practice pitch..........

So............Based SOLEY on this video.........Osterman is a "step style" pitcher Eh?..........

Maybe's she's a stepper.......Maybe she's a leap and dragger........No way to tell from a warm-up or practice pitch......

Don't you think you should ask before you make assumptions??? That was my point........

NOT how you can tell the OBVIOUS difference in styles.........You crack me up sometimes........

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06