Cut off plays and relays

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
You need to develop that strong accurate arm in RF. In fact, that is where I put my strongest arm. It would drive me crazy if we haven't thrown anyone out at 1st base from RF. And why would the girl advance on a wild throw? Isn't anyone backing up first?

Here is a site for developing those arms. Jaeger Sports

Jun 3, 2010
You need to develop that strong accurate arm in RF. In fact, that is where I put my strongest arm. It would drive me crazy if we haven't thrown anyone out at 1st base from RF. And why would the girl advance on a wild throw? Isn't anyone backing up first?

Here is a site for developing those arms. Jaeger Sports

We usually have someone backing up first, I guess that would be the catcher with nobody on base or the pitcher. But wild throws are just that, wild, so there is still a chance of it getting past the backup. My point is you have to recognize if your players are skilled and alert enough to make that play. I don't think ours are there yet. I agree, put your strongest arm in right field which is another problem for this team. They actually like to play my daughter in right field because she backs up plays so well over there. However, she doesn't have a strong arm, just average. She should be playing left field.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
jamby, if you are not throwing runners out at 1st, there is something wrong. We get one or two per tournament. When my dd played OF as a Sophomore last year on our vasity, she lead the area in assist. She threw out at least 10 at first. Amy is right, having a strong arm in right is critical to good teams. If the RF doesn't have a strong arm, she can still get it done through good positioning, knowing the hitters and being aggressive on balls in her area. JMHO!

Regarding cuts offs, I too struggle with the 2b. Your OF should be able to throw that ball there without any trouble. I look at teh 2b as more of a target to get the throw on line or cut it if it is off line. With the cuts to home, our hs used the pitcher and my dd's travel team uses the 1st baseman. It can get confusing even for the girls. My preference is to use the 1st baseman and then establish angles for the pitcher to run to to back up bases. Naturally, there is then a conflict with a runner on 2nd and a slow runner getting a hit to RF. Does the 1st baseman hold at the bag or go for the cut? Tricky isn't it!

Jun 3, 2010
If your weaker arm is in right field, coupled with a weak arm at 2nd, disaster hits on a ball smacked to the fence. But, I see novice girls in RF and at 2nd base, all the time.

Of course, correcting the overhand throw is one of the things I stress, so it doesn't have to be this way.

When you say correcting the overhand throw do you mean getting the girls to throw overhand properly? I have a devil of a time getting my daughter to throw overhand. She has the a habit of not getting her hand above her shoulder and pushing instead of slinging the ball overhand. I have brought her out to the park to practice it but when she is not thinking of it or gets into pressure situations she goes back to her bad habit.

Jun 3, 2010
I talked to my daughters coach and she said the home cutoffs are as follows: Down the lines 1B and 3B respectively cut the throw to home and the pitcher cuts everything up the middle which leaves 1B backing home usually. Pitcher backs home on down the line plays. This may not be it exactly but close.

Jun 3, 2010
jamby, if you are not throwing runners out at 1st, there is something wrong. We get one or two per tournament. When my dd played OF as a Sophomore last year on our vasity, she lead the area in assist. She threw out at least 10 at first. Amy is right, having a strong arm in right is critical to good teams. If the RF doesn't have a strong arm, she can still get it done through good positioning, knowing the hitters and being aggressive on balls in her area. JMHO!

Regarding cuts offs, I too struggle with the 2b. Your OF should be able to throw that ball there without any trouble. I look at teh 2b as more of a target to get the throw on line or cut it if it is off line. With the cuts to home, our hs used the pitcher and my dd's travel team uses the 1st baseman. It can get confusing even for the girls. My preference is to use the 1st baseman and then establish angles for the pitcher to run to to back up bases. Naturally, there is then a conflict with a runner on 2nd and a slow runner getting a hit to RF. Does the 1st baseman hold at the bag or go for the cut? Tricky isn't it!

Well that is kind of my point. You have to be an alert, aggressive fielder for that throw. You have to have it in your thoughts and habits and recognize the play. Our girls are just not being taught the concept. It is not up to the coach to tell them to throw to first the girls have to recognize the play in my opinion so there is little hesitation.

Jun 5, 2010
VA
What about the hands & feet of the player receiving the ball ?

Glove side throws and leading with the opposite foot of glove to prepare to throw the ball is also important.:)

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
Thanks a lot everybody. Ken, you laid it out pretty much how I see it. MTS, I hear ya but I guess we need a very active, athletic first baseman and you can't cover everything. I guess that is where the experience and judgement of the girls take over. You are just going to have to make a throw without a cut in some situations. I know one of our first basemen really needs a lot of coaching up. She basically doesn't move at all whent he ball is hit. Just stays around first base.

I also want to add a peeve of mine and that is the throw from right field to first base. My girls team is 14 and under and despite the age the experience of the girls varies a lot. I think that throw is very low percentage at our level of experience. Through my daughters high school and travel team this year I haven't seen one girl thrown out a first but I have seen bad throws allow the base runner to advance. In my opinion unless you have a relatively slow runner, a hard hit ball that is caught on one hop and a strong accurate arm in right you are not going to throw the girl out. We have a coach on our team that is in love with that throw and it drives me crazy. He will yell "First Base" after the right fielder has picked up the ball and is getting ready to throw to 2nd. No way they are going to get the runner at that point. I think that play has to be at the disgression of an experienced fielder who recognizes the play and is ready to make the throw. She shouldn't have to rely on the coach to tell her to throw. For my money you just let the right fielder throw to second ahead of the runner.

My daughter plays RF and throws runners out at 1st base on a regular basis. I would say almost 1 a game.

Jul 9, 2010
Get the Softball Coaching Bible. It covers many of these situations. If they are too complicated, you can simplify them some for yuor situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00