Cut off plays and relays

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 3, 2010
Nobody seems to be willing to discuss in detail cutoffs and relays in fastpitch softball. My daughter plays softball. I played baseball through high school. I think I have a pretty good idea of where to position players and where throws need to go but I realize there are some nuances in fastpitch softball that separate from baseball. My daughter's coaches don't seem to have a good grip on it. Outfielders are confused about where to throw the ball. Pitchers and first basement just stand around when the ball is hit to the outfield. Can someone fill me in with their take on the subject?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
How old is the team and how much experience do they have? One problem that I find frequently is that the cut off, say the 2nd baseman, isn't being lined up with where she needs to throw the ball. No one talks, like they should, to the cut off. Also, they can learn when to "run the ball in."

You are right that the pitcher might need to back up the catcher and the 1st baseman might be the 2nd cut.

Give us an example and we will tell you if it is wrong or in the ball park.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
It depends on the age group, but here are some general ideas -- or at least what I like to use.

At the younger ages (10U, some 12U) when their arms aren't very strong, you'll probably need a relay for everything. Second base goes out for relays from right, and shortstop goes out for relays from left and center. The middle infielder who isn't taking a relay covers second base. A lot of times teams will use the pitcher as a "cutoff" since she's conveniently located and often one of the best athletes on the team. Truth is, though, most times teams are hustling the ball in to the pitcher to kill the play.

From the more advanced 12U teams on up, things change. We'll assume your outfielders can throw the ball all the way from about medium deep to home, even if it bounces or rolls. In that case, you no longer need a relay from that distance. I like to use the first baseman as the cutoff on all balls except those hit to close to the third base line, where I'll use the third baseman (same as baseball). The outfielders are told to throw the ball right over the first baseman's head, or between the "goalposts" (her arms). If the first baseman hears the word "cut" or "cut-2" or "cut-3" she reaches up, catches the ball and fires to the called base instead. If she hears nothing she lets the throw go through. Again, not significantly different than baseball, except that no relay is required since the outfielder is closer to home than a typical baseball outfielder.

If the ball goes to the fence, or otherwise past that point where the outfielder can throw home, then the middle infielder becomes the relay and first baseman is still the cut. The fact is, though, depending on the speed of the runners and how far the ball went, most times that cut isn't needed because the 60 foot bases allow the runners to get around a lot faster. You're probably looking at a triple or a home run.

A mistake a lot of teams make is having the outfielders throw to the first baseman, and then having the first baseman whirl around to throw home. That just eats up time. I guarantee nearly any kid can roll a ball faster than another kid can run. Inserting a "middle man" into the play just slows the ball down and gives the runner more opportunity to get there. It also opens you to an errant throw.

As for the pitcher, she should be backing up either third home. You never want a base uncovered, especially if there's a trailing runner. Again just like baseball.

That's not the only way to do it, but it's pretty standard. Hope that helps.

Apr 7, 2010
I often feel it's a waste to have the 2nd baseman go out to right field as a cutoff/relay when the outfielder can easily make the throw to 2nd (same situation SS to left). In that case, the 2nd baseman seems lost as to what to do. Almost seems better to have the 2nd baseman cover 2nd and have the SS backup the base. Thoughts?

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
It depends on the age group and level of play as to whether or not cut offs are necessary. If they aren't necessary for your team, then go with your plan.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
If your weaker arm is in right field, coupled with a weak arm at 2nd, disaster hits on a ball smacked to the fence. But, I see novice girls in RF and at 2nd base, all the time.

Of course, correcting the overhand throw is one of the things I stress, so it doesn't have to be this way.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Where is the second baseman throwing to? If a ball is hit to right field, smacked to the fence, and the runner is trying to score or on third the first baseman is our cutoff if their could be a throw home.

R

RayR

This is fascinating subject because there are so many variables that one set system will not work in every situation. For instance, a sharp hit ball to LF - the first basemen does not enough time to get into a cut position because her first responsibility is to cover 1B in case the ball is fielded by the 3b or SS.

And what about a sharp hit ball in the 3/4 hole with 2 outs? Is the play at 1B or home? What if the first basemen dives to make a play on the ball? No way she can get into a deep cut position anyway. Should the third basemen be the cut for the right side? Should the 3b just be the cut for every ball? Should the SS handle the cuts from RF? She can certainly move into position quickly and the third basemen can cover 3B in case there is a play there.

There are so many ways to set up and play it.

Gap hits the SS/2B should be able to make the throw home from wherever they set up so I don't think a second cut is necessary in most cases.

May 27, 2010
Double Cutoff Information

I found a really nice web site that lays out a double cutoff for baseball. As a softball coach, I feel that the cutoff's for baseball and softball should be played very similarly. Check this site out. Has nice illustrations also.

Jun 3, 2010
Thanks a lot everybody. Ken, you laid it out pretty much how I see it. MTS, I hear ya but I guess we need a very active, athletic first baseman and you can't cover everything. I guess that is where the experience and judgement of the girls take over. You are just going to have to make a throw without a cut in some situations. I know one of our first basemen really needs a lot of coaching up. She basically doesn't move at all whent he ball is hit. Just stays around first base.

I also want to add a peeve of mine and that is the throw from right field to first base. My girls team is 14 and under and despite the age the experience of the girls varies a lot. I think that throw is very low percentage at our level of experience. Through my daughters high school and travel team this year I haven't seen one girl thrown out a first but I have seen bad throws allow the base runner to advance. In my opinion unless you have a relatively slow runner, a hard hit ball that is caught on one hop and a strong accurate arm in right you are not going to throw the girl out. We have a coach on our team that is in love with that throw and it drives me crazy. He will yell "First Base" after the right fielder has picked up the ball and is getting ready to throw to 2nd. No way they are going to get the runner at that point. I think that play has to be at the disgression of an experienced fielder who recognizes the play and is ready to make the throw. She shouldn't have to rely on the coach to tell her to throw. For my money you just let the right fielder throw to second ahead of the runner.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00