crow hopping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 25, 2009
From someone who is NOT a pitching coach, but deals with other coaches griping about my #1 pitcher crow hopping at least once in every tournament, I'd suggest if they drag their back foot toe down, so they don't have the opportunity to replant. My pitcher (9YO) drags hers more "cleat down" and releases just as it stops. It is very close, and I can see where it draws questions. I am anxious to hear some suggestions from some of the wiser folks out there. Might help me out too.

May 2, 2010
..... I've always wondered how these girls START hopping and replanting. ???
I'm no pitching coach ~ so I wouldn't presume to have a clue how to get them to break the habbit, but I HAVE always wondered to myself how in the world they start. I can't imagine it's a natural thing. I've tried to demonstrate it and - to be honest - can't even figure out how to do it. LOL How does a pitching coach allow that to develop?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have no idea why they start, unless they are seeing some D1 pitchers get away with it and it looks cool.

From day 1, I teach drag the toe.

I had a mostly successful 12 YO come in a couple of months ago with a crow hop that was 12 inches from the rubber. She could correct it from time to time, but it was apparent that she would rather not. They moved on, when I refused to move on until she quit pitching illegal.

Oct 22, 2009
I have about 3 now with to me --pronounced crow hops-- they are not getting called for it in games, so they are not working real hard on correcting it.

I have tried the drag the paper/cardboard on them, it only works while they are doing it, as soon as they get back on the rubber--it's back.
I have tried Ernie Parkers method where you stand on the push foot only, he claims it is impossible to crow hop from this position, well it is possible.
I have tried making them do it slow motion a whole bunch of times, nope!

Someone said hitch in the arm circle---well I studied and studied clips of my pitchers and could find no hitch.
I think my kids are crow hopping due to them to trying to pivot quickly, and them trying to push upward too much to get the foot turned around. But they are not actually getting the pivot in, just turning the foot sideways.
I tried Hillhouse's method of going over the toe to one last week and she threw a fit.
This is ongoing and I'll let you know if make any progress on any of them and what worked.

Jul 28, 2008
You don't need to come airborne to crow hop. You can drag your toe and then push off again from a new position and it's still a crow hop.

May 14, 2010
From someone who is NOT a pitching coach, but deals with other coaches griping about my #1 pitcher crow hopping at least once in every tournament, I'd suggest if they drag their back foot toe down, so they don't have the opportunity to replant. My pitcher (9YO) drags hers more "cleat down" and releases just as it stops. It is very close, and I can see where it draws questions. I am anxious to hear some suggestions from some of the wiser folks out there. Might help me out too.

Again the old crow hopping, the rules are so vague, where the ground should be ect! Until the rules are standard crow hopping is part of the game! How about Cat?

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Again the old crow hopping, the rules are so vague, where the ground should be ect! Until the rules are standard crow hopping is part of the game! How about Cat?

I don't believe the rules are vague. The ASA supplemental rules section clearly defines "crow hopping" and "leaping". Every pitcher (and parent of a pitcher) should be very familar with them. IMO, whether or not some elite pitchers get away with IPs is irrelevant. The officials are cracking down more and more on IPs, so we all should be teaching correct, legal mechanics so it becomes second nature to the pitcher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan