Correcting pitcher during game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2015
Nothing wrong with in game correction. In fact, you'd be doing her a disservice if you saw something and didn't help. But, it has to be short and to the point, Things like "stay tall", "arm speed", "push hard". They have to be cues you've worked on in practice, and they have to be easy for her to take in and nothing that requires her to really think about it. In fact, dd and I worked out some hand signals to help when she was having a posture issue, slowing down on a change up, etc. so we didn't even have to talk about it. Even between innings I wouldn't get too detailed.

Jun 18, 2023
imo cardboard is a poor substitute for a live game/person in terms of not wanting to hit them. It's just a reps thing and I'm not sure most/all 8 year olds should even worry about the destination, focused more on the release/mechanics part, getting their delivery straight and understanding that the goal is just to get it over the plate and that it can't hit a batter that way.

Once they've gotten better at that and start being able to adjust pitches/location if they haven't grown out of the fear of hitting someone, you can get a little more creative with stand-ins, cardboard cutouts, etc.

It's not just about "getting okay with people getting hit" because that's not a good pitch anyway. The best way to not hit someone is to throw a good pitch with good mechanics.

May 13, 2023
imo cardboard is a poor substitute for a live game/person in terms of not wanting to hit them.
imo it is better because the problem may be the concern of pegging and hurting a person with the ball.
Pegging the cardboard is not hurting another person. That can alleviate some of the worry.
Remove that concern and learn to pitch by it.

It's just a reps thing and I'm not sure most/all 8 year olds should even worry about the destination,
However worrying about injuring another person on the 'destination' could be a natural response.
Not an intended obstacle to overcome but one that is potentially something that needs to be worked through.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023
imo it is better because hitting the cardboard is not hurting another person. That can alleviate some of the worry, concern and issue of the person learning to pitch by an obstacle.

Remove that concern and learn to pitch by it.

However worrying about injuring another person could be a natural response.
Not an intended obstacle to overcome but one that is potentially something that needs to be worked through.
It was mentioned the DD is 8, so she's probably not throwing hard/fast enough to hurt an adult.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles