College Recruiting east coast PGF vs ASA tourneys

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2014
We are trying to get DD in the best position to play in college. Right now it looks like she prefers mid-Atlantic/southeast locale for college. We have a couple of very good options for teams - one seems to be a little more competitive and focuses on PGF, the other good competitive level but focuses on ASA. Both teams have good 'name' recognition. Any thoughts on which might be better for college coaches noticing? We think we are looking at mid-level D1 but DD is considering D3 as well.

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
This requires some honesty on your part.

On which team will she play more?

Technically, PGF should afford her more opportunities to be seen by the bigger D1's - but that doesn't do her a bit of good if she isn't playing.

Go to a team where you know she's top 9, and then hit the camps of the schools she likes. If she's a top 9 for the PGF team, then congrats - you have a stud. :)

Our DD still has work to do to achieve the level she's after, so she sat a lot on last season's PGF team. She's focused on improving in the off season and preparing for next season, but she was pretty upset at not having opportunities to be seen at PGF Nationals.

Aug 1, 2016
The team with the most proactive recruiting coordinator / coach for all. You can have a strong PGF team but coach is only proactive for a select few. Then you will not get the marketing your daughter needs. She also should be top 9 like the other poster said.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
We are trying to get DD in the best position to play in college. Right now it looks like she prefers mid-Atlantic/southeast locale for college. We have a couple of very good options for teams - one seems to be a little more competitive and focuses on PGF, the other good competitive level but focuses on ASA. Both teams have good 'name' recognition. Any thoughts on which might be better for college coaches noticing? We think we are looking at mid-level D1 but DD is considering D3 as well.

Work toward good grades, secure academic scholarship with some grants. Then she can play for any college she wants and the coach will appreciate saving athletic scholarship(s)

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
PGF vs ASA? It is impossible to provide a useful answer. Which team is attending the events that the schools that are/may be interested in her will be attending? Which team has helped get players into those schools? Or are you hoping to attend big name events with a big name team and get discovered?

Jun 17, 2014
PGF vs ASA? It is impossible to provide a useful answer. Which team is attending the events that the schools that are/may be interested in her will be attending? Which team has helped get players into those schools? Or are you hoping to attend big name events with a big name team and get discovered?

I am not aware of an easy way to find out what schools go to what events. For showcases they list them and I can look at past history. For other tournaments, how do you find that out? Both teams have helped players get into schools although the PGF-oriented one has a better record in that area. My daughter is still identifying schools she is interested in, but she doesn't have a definite list yet so this is a more 'general' question. I realize it's difficult to answer without specifics and it will be difficult to be successful if we don't get more specific, but at this point I guess I'm wondering in a more general sense.

Mar 26, 2013
PGF vs ASA is just one piece of the puzzle because that's just one part of their overall schedule. The PGF team's better recruiting record may be unrelated to PGF:
- Better overall schedule of events.
- Better recruiting strategy and/or connections.
- Gets players that committed before joining them.

Jun 17, 2014
Well we targeted today as decision day so it was decision time - - she decided on the team that is geared more toward PGF. Really looking forward to seeing how this works out. Starting on a new team sure is stressful and full of so many unknowns! She did go to a practice this past week and liked the girls and coaches so that's a good start.

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
Well we targeted today as decision day so it was decision time - - she decided on the team that is geared more toward PGF. Really looking forward to seeing how this works out. Starting on a new team sure is stressful and full of so many unknowns! She did go to a practice this past week and liked the girls and coaches so that's a good start.
Congratulations to her! I hope you have the best season ever! Now, go get recruited!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
PGF and ASA are a one week tournament. For recruiting you want to get on the team that is going to play in the best showcases in the Southeast to get your DD seen by the coaches of the school she is interested in attending. Some good ones are Atlanta Legacy, Champions, Scenic City, Southern Force - Watkinsville, and there are a couple of D9 events in FL. If your DD has great academics check out Pennsbury.

Reach out to the college coaches of the schools your DD is interested in attending and ask them which showcases they will be attending. As far as a nationals, I would much rather be at PGF vs. ASA to be seen by college coaches. Huntington Beach is also nice vs. BFE....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32