College Camp Catchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Parents stop helicoptering your child. Let them experience the college camp without you holding their hand. Provide a catcher.

Yep - that’s it - we absolutely don’t want any one else catching our DD’s 🙄

I wish it was that easy to get a catcher to just drag along to every single pitching camp we attended. Unfortunately, the “pitching only” sections of the camps did not provide catchers. Most times they were separate camps or before the rest of the camp started. When I had a catcher willing to come along for an all day road trip, I brought one. It was very common to see at least a few other parents catching their kids. It’s really not the big deal you’re making it out to be.

May 27, 2013
I’ve also been to camps where they try to pair off the pitchers/catchers if they don’t do separate sections. There is rarely ever a time when there is an equal number. It’s got to really stink for the kid who has to “share” a catcher.

Better yet are the camps where the pitchers warm up their pitches with each other. Nothing like having girls throwing 60 and catching without gear or a catcher’s mitt. But as long as they are standing and not squatting, it’s all good.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
D1 UPenn camp. Must provide own catcher.

Yep see that. Bring catcher.
Doesn't say bring parent LOL 😆

If your a catcher...
Do you have to bring your own pitcher LOL🤣

Have never been to a college camp where they weren't able to utilize the catcher's attending. Usually when they are assessing catchers they want to see them with pitchers

Hmmm...could be difference between some camps that are just teaching camps versus real prospective showcase camps 🤷‍♀️.
Just saying some camps are for younger kids. That's the only time I'd imagine a parent being on the field.

May 27, 2013
Yep see that. Bring catcher.
Doesn't say bring parent LOL 😆

If your a catcher...
Do you have to bring your own pitcher LOL🤣

Have never been to a college camp where they weren't able to utilize the catcher's attending. Usually when they are assessing catchers they want to see them with pitchers

Hmmm...could be difference between some camps that are just teaching camps versus real prospective showcase camps 🤷‍♀️.
Just saying some camps are for younger kids. That's the only time I'd imagine a parent being on the field.

Yep - you’re right RAD. Never happens that there’s not enough catchers. But yeah, I guess the UPenn camp isn’t a “real” prospect camp. Coach Dani never seemed to fault the pitcher who had a parent catch their kid when asked to provide a catcher.

I would hope that the true pitcher/catcher evaluation would occur during the scrimmages.

But hey, let’s cause unnecessary stress and worry to the parents/players going through the process now who aren’t able to provide their own catcher. I’m pretty sure if they could, they would.

ETA: Those going through the process now - just have your dd email the coach and ask if it is ok to have a parent catch if you are unable to bring an actual catcher. That way you’ll know for sure and there won’t be any issues if you have to catch your kid.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Yep - you’re right RAD. Never happens that there’s not enough catchers. But yeah, I guess the UPenn camp isn’t a “real” prospect camp. Coach Dani never seemed to fault the pitcher who had a parent catch their kid when asked to provide a catcher.

I would hope that the true pitcher/catcher evaluation would occur during the scrimmages.

But hey, let’s cause unnecessary stress and worry to the parents/players going through the process now who aren’t able to provide their own catcher. I’m pretty sure if they could, they would.

ETA: Those going through the process now - just have your dd email the coach and ask if it is ok to have a parent catch if you are unable to bring an actual catcher. That way you’ll know for sure and there won’t be any issues if you have to catch your kid.
Obviously most of the parents catching their kid at a camp are doing it out of necessity but I can think of a few parents around here who would jump at the opportunity 😂.

May 7, 2015
SoCal

There is always issues with camps.. Too many kids, tough to stand out, too few catchers, not enough reps.. Drop your kid off at the front and watch from a comfy chair, she needs to learn how to stand out and make people notice on her own

DD was never at a camp where there was equal pitchers and catchers. The pitchers always rotate. The key is to have your DD practice getting warm in that type of scenario.. Warm up with another pitcher, have her standing not in receiving stance, whatever it takes. Make it so that she is ready to show up and blow up. That is why kids go to camps early and often, to learn how to be that camp kid. Part of what colleges are looking for is resiliency

Good luck

May 27, 2013
The OP asked what to do when it was a “pitching-only” session and it was instructed to “provide your own catcher.” The pitchers are not going to rotate through with someone else’s catcher who they brought specifically for their dd.

If the pitching-only session occurs simultaneously with the rest of the camp and the catchers aren’t working on their own drills during the same time then they might be expected to rotate through. They also wouldn’t ask to supply your own catcher ahead of time.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

You go snarky! 🥳
Didn't comment upenn wasn't a 'real' prospect camp. I was defining that there are some type of camps where it's younger kids where I can imagine parents being on the field catching their daughter. For the purpose of commenting where parents might be on the field. I myself have never seen parents catching their daughter that was a D1 Prospect at a camp. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen it's just peculiar to me.

Have definitely been to college camps High School ages attending where no one was a prospect for the colleges.
Colleges want as many people to attend as they can accommodate.

Last edited: