College Camp Catchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 1, 2019
I've had to catch DD at several camps. Our team has girls from multiple states and grabbing one of them isn't always possible unless one happens to be going to the same camp. When I have to catch for her, I'm nothing more than a catcher, I don't coach her, don't interact other than receiving and throwing the ball back. However, I do catch every lesson for her so I'm very familiar with her movement and luckily she rarely skips one in.

Most of the girls in our area that we know thru school or local travel team's aren't used to her or used to catching pitchers with much movement. She's always felt like they would potentially make her look worse so she's stuck with me in the situation where she can't use one of her regular catchers. Never had a college coach even bat an eye about a parent catching, realistically I don't think they're looking at me us unless you give them a reason to. I have seen them look questioningly at the bucket dad who's coaching/instructing their DD during the camp and I'd highly advise against it. That said, if you're not one who regularly catches them, don't just jump in and try if it's above your skillset.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I have only been to a few but everytime there were more pitchers than catchers. Pitcher's dad from our TB team try to contact camp director to ask if they should bring a catcher. Crickets, no response. My Dd was more than willing to go catch for her. 8 pitchers and 6 catchers and a couple of the catchers were young (suppose to be 14 and older)and out matched.

Camp directors need to get better organized. This is how camps get labeled money grabs.
Communicate with the correct label for what camp is, except then of course the marketing money grab would diminish.

The latest camp I am referring to, to their credit was 9 am til 4 pm with lunch and tee shirt included.
Shirt included there you go that's like donating to a cause on TV and getting a blanket from Sally Struthers 😂...
Yes people like to display the shiny object they got from attending! But it is supportive of something they might like so that's nice!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Not everybody who gets an email saying
'please come to our camp'
is because they want to recruit their daughter.
It's because they want attendees at the camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802