Cold Weather Bat Advice?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
like I said it is IMO, a 12yo girl is not going to hurt a composite bat using it in 30 degree weather. So just how cold does it get in Mississippi? The only thing, from what I have read that the xeno has major issues with breaking anyways. We use them all the time below 40 degrees, not xeno's, other quality bats. The OP doesn't have to listen to me.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Last, but not least, keeping the bats 'warm' when it is below 50 degrees does not help, because the cold softball, which are harder than normal, cause the problems!

I do keep forgetting that, you are correct. We don't get the prolonged sub 60 daytime temps out here, night games are different.

Jan 25, 2011
Get a ball warmer.
that would great a even bigger problem. when the warm ball travels thru the air, it could cause the warm air molecules to slam into the much colder air molecules. It could great the air to electrify and create lightning, or worse yet a drop in air pressure, creating a tornado, when the cold air and the warm air meet at the bat. The risk to the planet is to great.

Dec 7, 2011
Really IMO she can use her xeno bat, she will wont hurt it. Up here in the North east, we use bats all the time under the recommened temps., I have never seen one break and that includes the slowpitch men. HS ball is played when it is snowing out.

WHat - nobody hits hard in the Northeast?!?!?
Upper Northwest composites break all the time.
Get a RT.

Dec 11, 2010
Santa will be bringing a couple batwarmers. Awesome idea. I keep my buckets of softballs in heated garage until we are ready to use.

Apr 1, 2010
like I said it is IMO, a 12yo girl is not going to hurt a composite bat using it in 30 degree weather. So just how cold does it get in Mississippi? The only thing, from what I have read that the xeno has major issues with breaking anyways. We use them all the time below 40 degrees, not xeno's, other quality bats. The OP doesn't have to listen to me.

Um, my 12yr old DD broke her (one piece drop 10) composite. It snapped on the handle under the tape while she was warming up at the team soft toss station (regular softballs). It wasn't even that cold that day (50-60?), but it had been around 35-40 degrees when she used it the weekend before. I suspect it may have gotten cracked then and it was just a matter of time until it broke all the way. Or perhaps she was pounding in nails with it or something and I didn't get the true story, LOL!

I've learned the lesson that my 12 yr old CAN break a nice composite in cold weather and I'm not going to let her use one anymore when the temps are very low. Or at least not unless the game is on the line! ;-)

Apr 1, 2010
Could get one of these:
The ORIGINAL Microwaveable Bat Warmer Official Site PYROFLITE -- Baseball & Softball
We have had one for years and like using it when DD has got a big indoor tourney and needs to use her composite.
Our current CF5 has now lasted over a season for the first time in 4 composite bats and I could say this warmer has had a difference.

I thought I had read somewhere that bat warmers weren't legal in some of the associations. Is that true?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma