Cold Weather Bat Advice?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 28, 2012
We live in Mississippi. My 12 year old daughter has been using a Louisville Slugger 2012 Xeno all summer and fall (temperatures above 60 degrees). As we enter the winter months, she wants to continue training to get ready for Spring 2013 fastpitch season. Where I live, we do not have access to an indoor training facility. So, we will be limited to outdoor batting cages. I am concerned about her using her Xeno bat in cold temperatures.

So, I'm looking for recommendations. For batting practice, should we invest in an expensive bat, such as a Rocket Tech (double walled aluminum) or should we just purchase a cheaper single walled aluminum bat that will simulate the length and weight of her Xeno?

Thanks for the advice.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Buy a used Rocket Tech off Ebay or Craigslist.....it is a -9 and is end loaded, so it will make her Xeno seem light by comparison. You could use a cheap aluminum bat as a 'beater', but I like the RT because my DD can use it in games if necessary.

I paid $100 for the used RT I bought my DD 2 months ago.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
Really IMO she can use her xeno bat, she will wont hurt it. Up here in the North east, we use bats all the time under the recommened temps., I have never seen one break and that includes the slowpitch men. HS ball is played when it is snowing out.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I don't agree w/ NanoT, I wouldn't risk the gamer. My preference for cold weather is a used model of the game bat that can be picked up cheaply and isn't an issue if it breaks.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Really IMO she can use her xeno bat, she will wont hurt it. Up here in the North east, we use bats all the time under the recommened temps., I have never seen one break and that includes the slowpitch men. HS ball is played when it is snowing out.

I would not recommend using a composite bat below 50 degrees, especially if it is no longer under warranty! I would also avoid hitting dimple balls with a composite bat. Last, but not least, keeping the bats 'warm' when it is below 50 degrees does not help, because the cold softball, which are harder than normal, cause the problems!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma