coaching rec to tb

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
I have coached LL for 6 years and now my dd is playing her first year of tb. My questions is way do so many post ,talk about how dd's daddy don't know anything compared to tb coaches. My dd's new tb coach knows alot less than I do and I'am not kinding you. I can't believe some of his batting ideas, no stride, does'nt like a negative move , just wants them to make contact. Thats not what I teach or even close to it. I quess all tb coaches never started out in rec ball from what I see on most comments. Do all tb coaches start right out coaching a tb team and never coached their dd's. I think some tb coaches , need to remember where they started from , and give some of new to tb some credit. If are dd's where good enough to make their teams they had to learn how to play some where.:mad::cool::mad:

Jul 26, 2010
So, your daughter is playing travel ball and you don't think the coach has anything to contribute to her development. Is that the jist of your rant?

If so, then it begs the question, "why are you shelling out your hard earned money for this?"

Travel ball is expensive, both in money and time, tryouts are a two way street, and it seems like you should move to another team. With all the animosity, the TB coach probably wont' mind. It's early in the season and there is still time.

-W

Jan 25, 2011
Because I didn'nt do my homework, but thats not it ,why do so many tb coach think, they are the only one that know softball. Where they all born being a tb coach? Their dd's never played for them! so that makes all of us parents stupid about the game ,what if one of your parents know more than you about the game of softball, starsnuffer where you born a tb coach, or did you start out at the rec league level?

Jan 25, 2011
Travelball is expensive! But all the time my dd and I have spent at clinics , batting coaches, pitching coaches, I didn't just sit back and watch my dd at these clinics and her training facility , I learn everything I can. I'am saying this because my dd's coach said to me that my dd as more experencied than the other girls, but than wants her to change her hitting. Than he asked me to be one of assnt.coaches ,but doesn't like what I teach. My dd hits the stuffing out of the ball , and he wants to change her to the just make contact the way he teaches. SORRY but that doesn't make to me.

I'm guessing DD is 10u-12u?
Your in for a long, painful frustrating season. Very possible if your situation isn't changed quickly (meaning find another team) both you and DD are headed down a very bumpy road. TB is a small world belive it or not and your reputation will follow wherever you go. That said talk to people, find out whats out there and who's looking. If DD is that skilled s/b no problem finding a new team. On the other side you don't want to be know as "the complainers". Lastly....use caution when speaking with DD about team 'issues' as it WILL show in DD's attitude. No one wants a teamate like that on thier team.

Jan 25, 2011
point well taken, D.G.outlaws , the problem is that I didn't do my homework, knew the u-14 was really good, but found out that alot of the u-12 team, only have played softball a couple of years. I guess that I was kind of suprised by that , but one good thing they play local tournaments , so we maybe able to compete?

Take this year and enjoy the moments then, coach asked if you wanted to help. You never know how quickly things may change, patience from Dad would be a wise move for your 10-11 or 12 yo DD. Have fun cause those moments go by quick and opportunity's there, so either take a seat in the dugout or take your lawnchair far down the fouline savoring watching your DD play.

May 18, 2009
Sometimes the way something is taught might sound different but they could be looking for the same result. I've been on teams where I didn't like the atmosphere, stuck with it through the season, enjoyed my DD learning some things and really enjoyed watching her play. At the end of the year things changed. If you don't like what's being taught I'm sure your not the only one. Sometimes a new coach is in order, or a new team.

Feb 17, 2011
I'm guessing DD is 10u-12u?
Your in for a long, painful frustrating season. Very possible if your situation isn't changed quickly (meaning find another team) both you and DD are headed down a very bumpy road. TB is a small world belive it or not and your reputation will follow wherever you go. That said talk to people, find out whats out there and who's looking. If DD is that skilled s/b no problem finding a new team. On the other side you don't want to be know as "the complainers". Lastly....use caution when speaking with DD about team 'issues' as it WILL show in DD's attitude. No one wants a teamate like that on thier team.

Very well said. TB is a small world and reputations are assigned quickly and often unfairly. Our first TB experience was pure daddyball and as things went along our "team" was branded in a negative way. When other teams were asking why our players were playing where they were you kinda get the idea it was very obvious. Anyway do research, alot of it, and dont just take for gospel the first things you hear.... try to get both sides of the story.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quickpitch