coaching rec to tb

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
I can see your point, screwball, but that is not allways the coaches fault. I would offer all winter for girls to come to open gym ,and only 1 girl other than my dd would be there.You can't teach with out the students. Than when the season would start , parents would ask way does your dd pitch so well , way is the other girl pitch so well, and so on. Than that leads to another point, about daddy ball,Yes I coach and yes my dd pitches,but she pitches year round and that becomes unfair to think that just because your daddy is the coach that it is unfair to the other players.Those are the kids, that most of the time practice more , not allways,but most of the time.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Part of the reason rec coaches get a bad name is that players coming out, even after 3-5 years of experience there, have not progressed as expected, even in terms what one would expect from just repetition of softball skills.

I do have to admit this is a gross generalization, as rec players get more hits to them and play more defense, and some come out stronger at that than travel players.

They are getting better defensively simply because they have more balls hit to them in games??? I don't care whether its TB or school ball, you better be getting at least 10x the reps in practice that you do in games or there's no chance of ever improving. You "work" in practice so you can "play" games.

May 18, 2009
It's hard for the young ladies in rec ball to learn due to the high # of 1st time players. Coaches are continually working with the weaker student to bring them up to a level that's capable of basic fundamental play.

Rec ball is where you figure out who has some natural talent, talent that can be molded into better talent. You push those girls into all stars and then onto TB where they can really learn the game.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quickpitch