"Bullpen" Etiquette

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
I’ve posted this story before: we played at a tournament at a multi-field complex that’s home to a large org that was hosting. A bunch of teams were taking turns in the batting cages when the owner came over and shooed everyone away, telling them that the cages were for the exclusive use of the teams from the host org.

That’s trash and we have not played another tournament there. Always be a gracious host. Grow the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I’ve posted this story before: we played at a tournament at a multi-field complex that’s home to a large org that was hosting. A bunch of teams were taking turns in the batting cages when the owner came over and shooed everyone away, telling them that the cages were for the exclusive use of the teams from the host org.

That’s trash and we have not played another tournament there. Always be a gracious host. Grow the game.

That's just selfish-short-sighted-dumb.

Imagine an MLB stadium without a visitor's bullpen or BP time allotted.

Feb 15, 2017
Thank you all for the feedback. To clarify a few points:

> As I mentioned, I've never coached on a field WITH a cage/"bullpen" setup, so I didn't know how to approach things.
> Perhaps it's naivety from my POV - I would figure if there wasn't a cage on my side of the field but was one on the other, that I wasn't supposed to use it. I figure(d) it was there for a specific reason (i.e. the home team's use, etc.)
> Even though I mentioned this is 16U rec/TB, it IS competitive because we as a league treat it as such. To the point of being cutthroat? Not close. But everything else we approach is almost like a subdued second high school season (mainly as this league is aimed at the girls who are not TB players but could use extra work/experience so they could make an impact next HS season). I've been coaching in it for 9 years (running it for 5) and it's only gotten better since (minus 2020 for obvious reasons).

Again, appreciate the assistance from everyone. :)
16U does not equal competitive in any shape or form. Let them have fun. There's no college scouts going to show up. If they don't have fun, they'll stop coming. Rec = fun

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Jun 20, 2015

i can guarantee the owner's "shooing ' other teams away would have fallen on deaf ears. Or else the home org teams usage would have ended with parents setting up shop in said lanes.

Oct 4, 2018
i can guarantee the owner's "shooing ' other teams away would have fallen on deaf ears. Or else the home org teams usage would have ended with parents setting up shop in said lanes.

Right? Our team would have done the "ok, almost done. One sec" and then continued per normal. If they had a Tournament Direct come order us out, we'd leave. And we'd not play another tourney that clown runs, and let them know that.

May 29, 2015
I’m not quite clear on the exact setup, but I am assuming it is not your field. Before you help yourself (and proclaim yourself Keeper of the Cage), you might want to double-check with the facility’s owners.

Jun 1, 2015
That would be correct. It isn’t my field - just a local high school. This is the view from behind HP. The cage is off to the left, behind the third base dugout (the home dugout). Off screen to the right (behind the first base side) is the school itself, so it is likely a spacing issue. We share this field with another team in our summer league. So far, using this cage hasn’t been any issue as the other team hasn’t yet had a home game, I’ve used it for warmups but not in games, and no other team has asked to/used it. I’d rather be PROactive in asking than REactive. 👍🏻🥎

Attachments

• IMG_1455.jpeg
    IMG_1455.jpeg
    634 KB · Views: 28
Apr 1, 2017
I don't if it's Rec, or the PGF finals. If the field has 1 cage/bullpen, it should be open to both teams. In this case, it's your "home" field, so as a visiting team I would understand you having a preferred time to use it. However, when you are done (or before you need it), I would like my team to use it too.

In most cases with schools or park districts, I don't think it's even a space issue to only build one, it's a budget issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles