Coaching out of control?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
Just last week seen girl miss a play and leave the field in tears not cause of coach or parents she felt that she let her team down. The coach was reassuring her it was ok mistakes happen but she wasn't buying it.

I've seen this with a few girls but I see it constantly on my daughter's baseball team. Those boys cry about everything! They're 11 and 12, not 5. It's kind of crazy. My 9 year old is my softball player and she's always like, "Wow, he's crying again!" lol There is definitely a personality thing that just makes some kids take failure (even temporary failure like a bad at bat) really hard. For those kids I think the hardcore coaching is even worse; they're already hard enough on themselves.

Totally agree w/ 55dad too on yelling. It's so rarely necessary or helpful. For a kid with thick skin it may be neutral; for more sensitive kids it can be really harmful. Coaches should inspire and teach and encourage. That doesn't mean they have to be soft, but they don't need to be mean or insulting to get a point across. Our coach is really tough, but never yells or makes it personal. I think it can be a tough balance to achieve but it IS possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan