Coaching out of control?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I've been thinking a lot about what I have been seeing with various programs both TB and HS and, to be honest, some of the coaching is out of control.

We played a team recently that had 3 coaches on the JV and 3 on the varsity. I thought, wow that's great that a school would have that kind of commitment to softball. Then, I saw some of the coaches in action. It was as strict a regiment as could be and the players were constantly being, "coached." Everything was timed and down to the second with regards to pre game. For players who were not, "ready to play," there were punishments awarded to get these players "ready to play." I thought to myself that no one there is having any fun which later on was reinforced by one of the parents who's son I had coached a long time ago. He said it was more military boot camp than team. Oh, on one ball that the 2B forgot to cover 2nd after she threw to first, the coach threw the bat down and just stared at the 2B. I thought, really, you are trying to intimidate that young lady who simply messed up on covering? Wow!

As I mentioned, I've notice this trend a lot. Coaches, instead of thinking that this is about you and your power, how about think about the players, the game and lighten up some. It is a sport and not life. I am as intense as anyone you are ever going to meet but I darn sure am not going around tying to dictate every phase of ever play of every position of every player in the game. JMHO!

BTW, one of my young ladies said, "Coach, they have three coaches and we have you and we still won." I don't know if that was a compliment or ... LOL!

Jan 22, 2014
Every player has good and bad days. Coaches need to chill.

But - on a play to 2B.. shouldn't the SS cover 2nd ?

Feb 25, 2016
We all went through the NFHS "how to coach" module. Now some obviously skimmed through everything. HS sports should be about learning the game and sportsmanship, with winning second. My college "military-style" coach ruined my love for the game. I'll never be that type of coach

Jun 12, 2015
I think sometimes the coaches are in it for themselves. Ego, vicarious living, whatever. You can pick them out when you know what to look for which sometimes you have to learn the hard way. Our team has 4, but HC is very clearly in control. There is also an AC who's pretty involved, and the other 2 are more like helpers. The HC does most of the actual coaching. It seems to work - if you have a team with the HC and all the ACs trying to actively coach at once it gets pretty chaotic. I can't stand all the over-coaching, either. You really don't have to yell something at them after every single play/swing/pitch.

May 17, 2012
Coaches have all the power but none of the control. Once you realize that you are well on your way to being an effective coach.

Feb 15, 2016
I've been thinking a lot about what I have been seeing with various programs both TB and HS and, to be honest, some of the coaching is out of control.

We played a team recently that had 3 coaches on the JV and 3 on the varsity. I thought, wow that's great that a school would have that kind of commitment to softball. Then, I saw some of the coaches in action. It was as strict a regiment as could be and the players were constantly being, "coached." Everything was timed and down to the second with regards to pre game. For players who were not, "ready to play," there were punishments awarded to get these players "ready to play." I thought to myself that no one there is having any fun which later on was reinforced by one of the parents who's son I had coached a long time ago. He said it was more military boot camp than team. Oh, on one ball that the 2B forgot to cover 2nd after she threw to first, the coach threw the bat down and just stared at the 2B. I thought, really, you are trying to intimidate that young lady who simply messed up on covering? Wow!

As I mentioned, I've notice this trend a lot. Coaches, instead of thinking that this is about you and your power, how about think about the players, the game and lighten up some. It is a sport and not life. I am as intense as anyone you are ever going to meet but I darn sure am not going around tying to dictate every phase of ever play of every position of every player in the game. JMHO!

BTW, one of my young ladies said, "Coach, they have three coaches and we have you and we still won." I don't know if that was a compliment or ... LOL!

I think you can get some short-term positive impact from being extremely strict, demanding, and demonstrative when the girls make mistakes. I also think that sometimes HS coaches who have a group of very-talented players can get some positive results by really getting on girls for making mistakes. However, I have seen it work negatively in too many cases. I have seen good players completely check out of a game after being screamed at and humiliated for making a mistake. Should the players be tougher? Maybe, but I do not think yelling at kids and making a scene is a very effective way of coaching.

Jul 4, 2012
HS sports should be about learning the game and sportsmanship, with winning second.

I disagree with this statement. For most, HS sports are the pinnacle of their competitive journey. In high school, it should be about winning "with great sportsmanship". How you get their varies. I prefer the laid back coach with firm and consistent rules, but I've seen some players, definitely not the majority, but some who respond more to a tyrant, especially after he or she has gained their respect.

Oct 25, 2015
Kansas City
I have found that most coaches with th exception of the few crazies are just passionate about the game. Like any human they make mistakes but most of the time are on point and more than supportive. One a slight different note the girls are hard on themselves especially the really good ones they strive for perfection. Just last week seen girl miss a play and leave the field in tears not cause of coach or parents she felt that she let her team down. The coach was reassuring her it was ok mistakes happen but she wasn't buying it. Upside she got it together and turned a double next inning.

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
I have found that most coaches with th exception of the few crazies are just passionate about the game. Like any human they make mistakes but most of the time are on point and more than supportive. One a slight different note the girls are hard on themselves especially the really good ones they strive for perfection. Just last week seen girl miss a play and leave the field in tears not cause of coach or parents she felt that she let her team down. The coach was reassuring her it was ok mistakes happen but she wasn't buying it. Upside she got it together and turned a double next inning.

Passionate is OK, but yelling at players is almost never necessary. Certainly not for anything regarding the game of softball. If a girl gets rude, insubordinate, or defiant, I could see a reason to raise the voice. Missing a sign, blowing a coverage, or throwing to the wrong base are mistakes and do not require a raised voice. Yell when cheering and encouraging!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG