Coaching 3rd... Really do u need to try to get into a 10U pitchers head??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2010
How is it any different? A catcher talking to a batter trying to distract them and or taling and cheerign to distract a pitcher? No different in doing either. Tradition means nothing at all as yours doing the same thing both ways.

other than one being a player on the field and actually involved in the game?

Jul 19, 2008
other than one being a player on the field and actually involved in the game?

It dont matter. You play the other team to try to beat them with the softball skills the player know and have learned. Yelling, talking, cheering, etc to distract the other players is not skills of the game. Cheering your team on and words of encouragement id totally different than doing it to distract other players to. My daughter catches and if I caught her doing it, I would put an end to it on the spot. Same for yelling to distract a pitcher. Both are unsportsmanlike

Jan 20, 2010
It dont matter. You play the other team to try to beat them with the softball skills the player know and have learned. Yelling, talking, cheering, etc to distract the other players is not skills of the game. Cheering your team on and words of encouragement id totally different than doing it to distract other players to. My daughter catches and if I caught her doing it, I would put an end to it on the spot. Same for yelling to distract a pitcher. Both are unsportsmanlike

Except that catcher chatter generally happens prior to the swing (the catcher isn't screaming to make the batter flinch and change their swing). And the catcher is part of the field of play and needs to be focused enough to field his/her position while they are chatting. A coach or bench player yelling to disrupt the pitcher is not in the field of play and anything they do to try to detrimentally affect a player from the other team is bush league.

Jul 19, 2008
Except that catcher chatter generally happens prior to the swing (the catcher isn't screaming to make the batter flinch and change their swing). And the catcher is part of the field of play and needs to be focused enough to field his/her position while they are chatting. A coach or bench player yelling to disrupt the pitcher is not in the field of play and anything they do to try to detrimentally affect a player from the other team is bush league.

Yelling at a pitcher or while she is in her wind up is NO worse than talking to and distracting a hitter. You can try to twist it any way you like, it still is no different. Neither one should be done. But if the catcher talking to the batter with the sole purpose of distractign them is ok, then it should be ok for the batter to stand eep in the box and have a nice wide swing, or if there is a play at the plate come in cleats up.

Jan 20, 2010
Yelling at a pitcher or while she is in her wind up is NO worse than talking to and distracting a hitter. You can try to twist it any way you like, it still is no different. Neither one should be done. But if the catcher talking to the batter with the sole purpose of distractign them is ok, then it should be ok for the batter to stand eep in the box and have a nice wide swing, or if there is a play at the plate come in cleats up.

It is completely different and if you can't see that then we agree to disagree.

Mar 13, 2010
Yelling at a pitcher or while she is in her wind up is NO worse than talking to and distracting a hitter.

There is a difference. It might only be slight, but there is a difference. I would rip into my girls for screaming when a pitcher is winding up but applaud any catcher who chatted to a batter. Part of it is the catcher is involved in the play. The girls on the bench aren't.

I do however, have my pitchers practise with music blaring or even get some of the girls to come down occasionly and do the 'woooooOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo' cheer.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Players talk, yell, and "chatter" all the time, nothing illegal, unsportsman like or unusual about it. Coaches are a different issue. I can't imagine coaching 3rd and trying to distract the pitcher during the pitch. It maybe legal, but I would expect a coach to conduct themselves with a little more respect for the game. I think if I were the batter, and he was giving me instructions during the pitch, I would ask him to stop. I would think it would be equally distracting to both the pitcher and batter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC