Coaching 3rd... Really do u need to try to get into a 10U pitchers head??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
Do you know if there are any rules in place that holds coaches accountable for their tactics if they are inappropriate?

Good sportsmanship.

Adult common sense.

Common decency.

A sense of self-confidence about one's place in the world (usually lacking in such idiots).

; >

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
ASA Online Rulebook , Rule 6, Section 10.E says no player or coach can say or do anything while the ball is live with the intent of trying to cause an illegal pitch. You might try that angle- who's to say that intentionally distracting the pitcher is not trying to cause an illegal pitch? dead ball is declared and offending team gets a warning the first time. second time the offending party gets ejected.
http://www.azsoftball.org/misc/2006/Misc/05.softball.umpire.rulebook.pdf

May 8, 2009
Florida
One thing to remember - if he doing during the windup, he is getting in HIS batter's head too. I think it is more distracting to his team since they are used to hearing his voice. As tough as it is, you have to train the team to focus within the lines.
Lozza said it best - it is pretty patehetic to have to beat a 10U to feel good.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Honestly didn't sound like he was directing any of the comments towards your pitcher. Without being there it is a little tougher. He may just be one of those coaches who can't stop talking to his team. Since it is 10U, it is possible he is new to the sport and excited like his players. I suspect he will calm down as time goes by. Unless he is directing the comments towards your team, I probably wouldn't have issue with it. If you see him in another tournament, you could maybe ask him nicely to tone it down a bit. He may not even realize he is distracting your pitcher.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
ASA Online Rulebook , Rule 6, Section 10.E says no player or coach can say or do anything while the ball is live with the intent of trying to cause an illegal pitch. You might try that angle- who's to say that intentionally distracting the pitcher is not trying to cause an illegal pitch? dead ball is declared and offending team gets a warning the first time. second time the offending party gets ejected.
http://www.azsoftball.org/misc/2006/Misc/05.softball.umpire.rulebook.pdf

Your going to have a very hard time getting this enforced from the OP's description. Comments were directed at his batter, not the pitcher from description.

Recently I was calling a game behind the plate, this parent (one of the more annoying ones I've heard in a while) was constantly making all kinds of remarks about her hitters and fielders. Nothing directed at other team, but similar to OP: "Hit that ball far, you know she won't throw you a strike here, make her hit the ball, etc". Even I was annoyed, I could only imagine being a parent on the other team, but that was about it, just annoyed.

OP sounds similar with this particular 3B coach making those statements. As far as warnings, etc, it becomes a judgment call for those of us calling the game. I will not allow foul remarks or cursing or clear and direct attempts to disrespect an opposing player. You tread into those areas, my attention focuses on you pretty quick and ejection could be forthcoming. Luckily, haven't had to eject a coach or a parent for this so far and I hope it remains that way. (I have had to issue the occasional warning)

Some consider it bush, some consider it ok, some don't care and continue on. As a former coach, I hardly ever worried what the other coach was doing, but rather focused on our team.

If I thought our girls were hearing comments and allowing it to impact their performance, I would call a quick meeting and tell them to ignore those comments and put your efforts into showing the other team on the field who was boss. Talk louder on the field to each other to drown out the other noise. Encourage each other verbally. Win or lose, we usually played harder at least without commenting back.

True competitors have to learn to zone out chatter anyway, good or bad, might as well teach them young.

Jul 26, 2010
Annoying people are part of life. There's about 7 billion people on this little smouldering rock, and if one extrapolates from their own circle of influence, they will find that most people believe that 6 billion people are annoying.

In other words, accept it, deal with it, and move on. It's a good life lesson. No one is getting hurt, and pitching is a mental game. Practicing with distraction is as important as practicing not pitching the ball over the middle of the plate at 10u

-W

May 31, 2011
I think it's Bush League BS. We recently played a team that started yelling for their hitters about halfway through a close game. They would start saying things like "go Sally" and it would escalate to a high pitch scream as our pitchers were in their windup. Their coach was standing by our dugout coaching third and I called him on it. First he said they were just doing chants...I laughed and said yeah right...they're yelling at our pitcher. His face turned red and he kind of said yeah...I don't like it either. I followed up with something like "you're the coach"...he then said that's just the way it is or some nonsense like that. What irritated me was the fact they were pretending to yell for their team when in reality they were yelling AT our pitcher in a close game. Whatever...he can do what he wants but I can say and think what I want. I almost had our girls start doign it to their pitcher, but I took a deep breath and remembered that two wrongs don't make a right.

Jan 20, 2010
I dont think it is any worse than having your catcher jaw with or at the batter. There are alot on here that think that doing that is great and funny, but is no better than the yelling or cheering to distract pitchers.

I totally disagree...catchers chatting up batters is a long long baseball tradition. Coaches trying to distract pitchers is bush league at any level in any era.

Jul 19, 2008
I totally disagree...catchers chatting up batters is a long long baseball tradition. Coaches trying to distract pitchers is bush league at any level in any era.

How is it any different? A catcher talking to a batter trying to distract them and or taling and cheerign to distract a pitcher? No different in doing either. Tradition means nothing at all as yours doing the same thing both ways.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan