Coaches & Parents question for you

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
Thought to ask do you review hitting/pitching/catching instruction video from your players that go to their own instruction?
Parents do you take video from your instruction to your coaches for review?

Perhaps it is video that the instructor approves is accurate what they are trying to teach. To show coach as an example.

Coaches are you utilizing what the non-team instructors are teaching your players?

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
Too many voices muddy the waters so as a coach I try to avoid those conversations, even if I think I am right and the personal/paid coach is wrong. Unless I am asked directly I do not comment or "do things my way".

Now if a player has an issue/slump/flaw we would get video/metrics for them to understand the issue. We would leave the solution to the private coaches unless the players ask for suggestions/coaching from us.

The real secret is not to take players that go to personal pitching/hitting/fielding coaches that you think are subpar, even if the player is really good. Always ask who their private coaches are on the tryout form.

I would rather see "Mom" or "Dad" as the hitting coach than one particular popular hitting coach whose students all have the same flaw in their swing...

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Too many voices muddy the waters so as a coach I try to avoid those conversations, even if I think I am right and the personal/paid coach is wrong. Unless I am asked directly I do not comment or "do things my way".

Now if a player has an issue/slump/flaw we would get video/metrics for them to understand the issue. We would leave the solution to the private coaches unless the players ask for suggestions/coaching from us.

The real secret is not to take players that go to personal pitching/hitting/fielding coaches that you think are subpar, even if the player is really good. Always ask who their private coaches are on the tryout form.

I would rather see "Mom" or "Dad" as the hitting coach than one particular popular hitting coach whose students all have the same flaw in their swing...
But he played pro ball. How could he be a bad instructor?:D

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I guess I would like to see their instruction video.
I would like to see the parent taking game video, preferably face forward not from camera recording the game from behind backstop, to their instructors for review and problem fixing. big screen/slow mo. The biggest problem I see is the long swing, armbar during the load and early extension. I hope that's not what they are being taught but who knows.
Some players with great eye hand coordination and excellent timing can get away or actually kill it with the early armbar, but they are the exception.
I would also add this. If a player has been hitting or throwing certain way for 10 years and is now 17 years old, its not going to be easy to change them.

Aug 23, 2016
As a parent, I stay out of it. I provide the money and the transportation. If my kid's coach has a problem with something she's being taught, she needs to work that out herself.

One of her coaches used to come to DD's pitching lessons to see how she was being taught. There are times when coach will ask DD to work on something specific with PC and he will tell her what he's been seeing. He is not familiar with her hitting coach but he likes the results so there's not a problem.

But really, DD is the one who has to navigate this.

Feb 14, 2023
As a parent

We video every at bat and I usually send them to her hitting instructor the day before our next lesson. He doesn't usually ask for them (sometimes), but he usually thanks me for sending them. Hopefully they help him understand what is translating from each lesson to game and I believe it also helps him notice if she is developing any bad habits he may not see at lesson time.

Our coaches have never really asked about her private lessons. I do know there is some difference between the teaching she gets at practice and what her hitting coach focuses on, but it has never been an issue.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
As a coach I would like to see video from players instruction. Video that their instructor thinks is accurate.

It provides connective information towards what the player is trying to produce.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
As a coach I would like to see video from players instruction. Video that their instructor thinks is accurate.

It provides connective information towards what the player is trying to produce.
So what would do if hitting coach was teaching, "you want to get the barrel to the outside part of the ball and snap/roll your wrist over to get more bat speed. You want to see the ball hooking."

Feb 14, 2023
So what would do if hitting coach was teaching, "you want to get the barrel to the outside part of the ball and snap/roll your wrist over to get more bat speed. You want to see the ball hooking."
I'm sure they are out there, but I have never heard that one.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
There may be an interesting drill out there specifying those words don't know.

The goal of looking at video isn't to decide whether or not I like the mechanics the instructor is teaching. The video is to understand the goal of the player to help guide their development.

So first and foremost

Look to see the batter's productivity with whatever mechanics they are utilizing.
Look to see if what is happening in their instructional video is being replicated in practice/games.
Guide development from these results.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwaehler