Caught stealing %--12U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2015
12u, A&B level teams. What percentage of runners stealing do your catchers throw out?
Purely by observation, but I'd bet most get less than 10%. On the other hand, the REALLY good ones at that age can get more than half pretty easily.

Aug 25, 2019
That includes the defense
1. Being there.
2. Catchng the ball.
3. Applying the tag.
Simply to be clear not just talking about the throw being there.
50% to 80% as a season stat.

Additionally
There are those games when no runner trys to steal :)

First year 12u bigger learning curve for all.
Would say good coaching at practices working often on real situations with pitchers and runners is super helpful.
Even essential!

Lets Throw Runners Out!
50-80%! RAD, we all know you are a great catcher coa ch, and your students probably got cannons, but do you actually go to games? Id say 10-15% of the average 12u game get caught stealing. And that's from umpiring quite a few of them.

Feb 17, 2021
Ok, this helps thanks. Our catchers are at ~4.5%. I felt that we needed work, I just didn't know what was realistic.
I know we can't compete at A level without stronger catcher, that's obvious.
Like Quincy said, when we run into a top-end catcher, we don't even attempt a steal so it skews the data some. However, we rarely run into a good team that doesn't attempt it on us.

Apr 1, 2017
Because I'm in the mood to rip open old wounds.... went back and looked at our 2 years of 12u.
10% and 8.3%.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
50-80%! RAD, we all know you are a great catcher coa ch, and your students probably got cannons, but do you actually go to games? Id say 10-15% of the average 12u game get caught stealing. And that's from umpiring quite a few of them.
50%
*1 in 2 runners is a good goal.
80%
*Higher goal 2nd year.

Yes i go to games.
Yes students & parents & coaches bring feedback.
Yes 50% Goals select & allstars
Yes i work extensively on defensive manuevers which include throwing at a target.
Teaching throwing mechanics is a LARGE part of what happens in lessons.
Perhaps after teaching catching mechanics, in the first month, i become more of a throwing instructor...from catching position.
Goals like~
To throw level to 2nd by beginning of 12u is a goal!
I only use 12" softballs. Even when younger.

Biggest first year 12u learning curve for the defense is to recognize & react what needs to happen on their part.
(they can already run & catch). After the catcher is throwing the ball by them or pegging runners...usually
within 3 months most teams atleast can cover the bases catch and apply tag. Atleast by half way through first season two runners try stealing one gets out.
2nd half of season yes 50%.

*How many players have a private instructor teaching throwing? Beside pitchers!
* Dont know the % of teams who wont try to steal on some catchers. That happens to.
So that limits attempts.
*Also some of these catchers in first year 12's are catching pitchers throwing 55mph even a few here and there faster.
BIG difference when the pitcher only throwing 48.
Have 2nd twelves who just turn 13 with pop times under 2.0.
While Some catchers at beginning of 14u are still at slow 2.5.
Our goal is under 2.0.

Yes lessons help! These are weekly ongoing lessons.
Not once in awhile.

20170223_145832.jpg

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
That includes the defense
1. Being there.
2. Catchng the ball.
3. Applying the tag.
Simply to be clear not just talking about the throw being there.
50% to 80% as a season stat.

Additionally
There are those games when no runner trys to steal :)

First year 12u bigger learning curve for all.
Would say good coaching at practices working often on real situations with pitchers and runners is super helpful.
Even essential!

Lets Throw Runners Out!
(? Maybe was some confusion)
My post is saying
~If all those things fall into place.
50%
80%

Cant imagine catchers at say pgf nationals 12u with runners stealing all over. No.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
These is one of those things Game Changer needs to change for a "softball mode". You can look this up for pitchers but not catchers.

SB% varies from 90% to 78% on our pitchers. I think the speed of the pitcher or the pitches they throw has some to do with stolen base percentage.

It's in Game Changer for Catchers. Go to 'Fielding' and then 'Catching'. It's there.

Oct 4, 2018
Our top two catchers for our first year 12U B team are 17% and 14%. We do pretty well in 12U B and are looking to move up to 12U A next year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles