Catcher's removing her helmet- driving me crazy!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD2 catcher on her HS team throws her helmet off for everything. Passed balls, foul balls, hit balls, walks, everything. She tries to block a wild pitch, it gets away from her, helmet flies off. It makes her so much slower. I don't have the energy nor is it my place to help correct this. I told my DD2, but she doesn't care either.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
DD2 catcher on her HS team throws her helmet off for everything. Passed balls, foul balls, hit balls, walks, everything. She tries to block a wild pitch, it gets away from her, helmet flies off. It makes her so much slower. I don't have the energy nor is it my place to help correct this. I told my DD2, but she doesn't care either.
Yikes slowing her down.
Did she say why she likes to take it off all the time?

Oct 1, 2014
USA
DaBears did a good job running through a list of why you should keep a good fitting hockey style mask on. If it doesn't fit right...fix it. No excuse for not maintaining your equipment. would you continue using cleats that didn't fit? Or a glove with broken laces or... same with a mask. Don't give me that tired old BS of obstructed vision.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
DaBears did a good job running through a list of why you should keep a good fitting hockey style mask on. If it doesn't fit right...fix it. No excuse for not maintaining your equipment. would you continue using cleats that didn't fit? Or a glove with broken laces or... same with a mask. Don't give me that tired old BS of obstructed vision.
Tired old bs?
Even new equipment doesn't fit appropriately all the time and obstruct vision.

IF Everybody started maintaining their equipment it wouldn't be an old excuse but even in 2022 it's still a fact of a reason.

will bring up the comment again.

why does it make such a big difference to people if the catcher takes her mask off? the majority of players on the field don't wear one anyway.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Really good fitted helmet and mask combo would more likely injure a catcher's neck trying to rip it off fast.

Thinking it through it would probably have to be slightly loose to be able to do so without complication.

Jan 22, 2011
I took a Sports in Law class several years ago. The most common defense against liability if someone gets hurt is to prove you have gone with general accepted practices, equipment manufacturers instructions for use and maintenance, followed the rules and guidelines of your sanctioning body, and used common sense.

That is why I don't mandate fielding masks; I would state that my DD wears one in that situation and let them decide what to do. In my opinion unless your sanctioning body mandates masks, the board and/or team is assuming liability if someone gets hurt using a non-NOSCAE approved fielders' mask. As far as I know, there are no NOSCAE approved fielders' mask.

I would also never recommend to my players not to use a fielders' mask.

Similarly, leagues are assuming some liability if they adopt local rules doing stuff like banning any sort of sliding in 8u, having a "must slide" rule, etc. A coach should not ask a player to slide at lower ages unless they have been taught to slide.

I would think any coach recommending a catcher remove a hockey style helmet designed to provide proper vision, especially yelling it during a game, is assuming some degree of liability if that player is injured with it off.

Similarly, in NFHS the rules now state that it is the responsibility of the HC to certify that equipment is legal and in good shape at the plate meeting. I assume this is to prevent start of game delays and provide some liability protection to umpires who might miss something in a quick 5 minute or less equipment inspection.

I am not sure about softball, but is fairly common in contact sports to wear mouth guards, from what I have observed.

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. Laws vary from state to state and this is not legal advice. I do have credit towards an MCAA graduate degree for taking a class making me aware of liability risks that coaches, ADs, and league administrators may face and the best way that may reduce liability risk.

Last edited:
May 27, 2022
I will throw a little spicy twist into this conversation and say
Why is it such a big deal that the catcher continue to wear her helmet and mask after the batter leaves the Box?
Not everybody else on the field is required/must wear a helmet and mask.

They are in a predicament of the batter hitting the ball at them. And pick offs and collisions with Runners stealing. Plays at bases.

If it's so critical to wear a mask why isn't everybody wearing one?

Biggest reason: - I got really annoyed at my daughter's 13U catcher taking it off after every foul ball, hit ball, etc. and then we all waited 20+ seconds while she banged it on her knee to get the rocks out, wiped it out with her hand to get the dirt, and then fixed her hair before putting it back on

IMO, it's not that it is 'critical' to safety, but that...
- If you take it off it has to go somewhere - potentially gets in the way during the play (I've seen college catchers take it of 'throw it' and then a bad throw bounces off it and runners get another base)
- It takes time to take it off - I prefer to not loose focus on the play
- you obviously wouldn't take it off on a throw down or pickoff move
- would you throw it off on a double steal where the ball is coming back to you?
- With good fitting hockey style masks, there is no downside to leaving it on
- And, to the safety thought: I think we can all agree that the catcher is more likely to be in 'collisions' at home than fielders at other bases - where the runners are coming in hot with their helmets on...

radness

Dec 13, 2019
And, to the safety thought: I think we can all agree that the catcher is more likely to be in 'collisions' at home than fielders at other bases - where the runners are coming in hot with their helmets on...
Hmmm? Potentially there are more possibilities collisions at first and second base just because runners reach there more often.

At home there may be a better application of Catcher staying out of obstructing the play/collision by having the foul line to determine where to stand. 🤷‍♀️

radness

Dec 13, 2019
A rule could be implemented that everybody must leave all safety equipment on at all times. That could include batters having to wear EvoShield mandatorily. Including defensive mandatory masks.

That Said to only consider the catcher's mask think is irrelevant.
Individual preference prevails.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles