Can't Wait for the Spring Season to Start

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2009
22 below zero on my drive in today, but we have HS captains games inside a dome on Sunday that almost makes it worth living here!

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
Thanks for that link, Kevin. There's some valuable information there that I hope might benefit our league.

If I may ask - and at the risk of derailing your thread - how is your retention from 6u to 8u to 10u to 12u? I'm not looking for specific data, just an estimate based on your observations. Also, do most leagues in your region have machine pitch/coach pitch (instead of player pitch) for 8u?

Approximate numbers from last spring: 6u: 50 players / 8u: 110 / 10u: 120 / 12u: 60 (note this is a town league and there are plenty of other options nearby).

I believe most of the leagues in Northern Virginia use coach or machine pitch for 8u. I'm aware of one program has the girls throw 3 pitches and then the coach comes in.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

May 18, 2009
Sunny and warm here on the left coast, I'm just now leaving to draft my 12U rec ball team.
Opening day is Feb 12!
Good times.

It's been unseasonable warm where I live but I still envy the California weather. We won't be playing until end of March or beginning of April. It's all indoor stuff right now.

I hope I got the photo attached of a "spring" game from around here.

Attachments

• family pictures for dvd 388.jpg
    family pictures for dvd 388.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 29
Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
First blacktop practice yesterday. Can't put cleats on the field until Feb. by decree.
I say this without malice: Shorts and t-shirts, and drove home with the windows down.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
it was below zero when I left for work this morning. now the sun's out and it's warmed up to -4F.

spring's just around the corner!

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Approximate numbers from last spring: 6u: 50 players / 8u: 110 / 10u: 120 / 12u: 60 (note this is a town league and there are plenty of other options nearby).

I believe most of the leagues in Northern Virginia use coach or machine pitch for 8u. I'm aware of one program has the girls throw 3 pitches and then the coach comes in.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

Our rec league has a similar number of players in 8U and the first half of the season its kid pitch and coach pitch to finish the count after 4 balls thrown (no walks) so the ball is put in play or the batter strikes out. The second half of the season is all kid pitch with walks. Works pretty well. Forces 7 & 8 year olds to learn to pitch and practice regularly to get better and allows batters to face live windmill pitching. With 110 players in your divison, you might encourage your league board to make the switch. It really prepares the players for 10U and beyond.

BTW - sunny and 75 today....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32