"Don't like the Blue's call?" or "Do you want to be an umpire!?"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
@Dabears17 ... have you gotten a chest protector yet? I finally upgraded to a Schutt HDX, so I have a used Davishield packed away. I also have a low-profile Adams that I didn't like the way it fit and another decent something or other that I picked up at a garage sale (I forget what it is, I'll have to check).

Yes ... that is what starts happening. Once you have your gear squared away, you start collecting it.

Baseball and/or softball are the most expensive sports to start officiating in. We need to do everything we can to help new officials get started. There are cheap "starter" packs available, but I do not recommend them. The equipment in them (particularly the accessories) are trash.

As others have said, protective equipment (mask, chest protector, shin guards, cup) should last you several (10 or more) years, so prorate that cost over that time period. Plate shoes will depend on how often you work and in what conditions, but should easily last 5+ (probably 10) seasons. If you are starting with lower levels (recommended), you also do not need the top-of-the line best equipment. Just like skill levels, work your way up.

Uniforms will depend on how often you work and in what conditions. I try to replace mine every 1 1/2 to 2 years, but will buy whenever I find sales or coupon codes.

Right now, I am typically wearing $500 - $600 onto the field ... my CP retails for $110 (got it for $60 with a discount code and my original one was about $120), my shinguards were about $80 when I got them, my mask was $45 (the one thing I haven't upgraded) but I added a $40 set of new pads, plate shoes were $110, ball bags were about $15 each, plate brush is about $5, lineup card holder was $20 (bought the nice UmpLife one), belt was $40, and add another $100+ in for the uniform. I just bought a $17 indicator to replace the usual $10 one I use.

When I started (rec) it was a set of used catcher's gear I had, a $5 indicator, a $4 brush, a set of $10 ballbags, and whatever clothes looked close to the part.

Pre-COVID I was spending over $300/year on organization/licensing fees, camps, etc. While I was in Mississippi that dropped to $0.

I just had my most lucrative weekend ... $1200 for 14 games over a four-day baseball tournament around New Orleans. That will be hard to top, though some of the baseball orgs down south are really pushing their game fees up. I've been told that around Memphis they can get $100 or a little better per game.

May 29, 2015
Welcome back MIB! You've been missed.

I've been coaching softball for 17 years, been umpiring rec for 10 to 12 years. Most of the time (as a coach or fan) I know whether it will be a ball or strike based upon how it leaves the pitcher's hand.

I noticed in Colorado last week a few of the umpires were announcing 'balls'.

Thank you! It's been both a long and short few years. I never did connect with any softball while I was in Mississippi, but I did more than my fair share of baseball. I kind of fell out of here since I wasn't working softball.

Announcing as in just saying "ball" or by giving the direction?

Jan 22, 2011
T
Thank you! It's been both a long and short few years. I never did connect with any softball while I was in Mississippi, but I did more than my fair share of baseball. I kind of fell out of here since I wasn't working softball.

Announcing as in just saying "ball" or by giving the direction?
Some were quietly saying it. I noticed because I got stuck doing Game Changer the whole tournament :)

May 29, 2015
T

Some were quietly saying it. I noticed because I got stuck doing Game Changer the whole tournament :)

Interesting. Sounds like a new mechanic that the umps there were not used to. I was always taught to call EVERY pitch ... unless it is headed for the bull mascot. Then you can skip those.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478