"Don't like the Blue's call?" or "Do you want to be an umpire!?"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 11, 2021
As with any business/enterprise, there must be some start-up costs... and some degree of on-going "maintenance" cost. That said, this is a really easy "sole proprietorship / business" to run at a profit! And to enjoy! Have fun.

May 19, 2021
Thanks for jumping in and taking the plunge; you’ll do great. The sport needs umpires and, with your previous experience, the learning curve ought to be almost non-existent.

It’s not uncommon to umpire 8-10 games during a weekend tournament or friendly. That’s $400-500 (usually cash) which is more than enough to purchase all that is needed to continue your journey….in terms of looking professional and being protected.

The pants, shirts and equipment you buy will last you years. The equipment, in particular, will last you up to 10 years, if not longer. Buy quality pants, shoes and shirts and they’ll last several seasons, at least. Again, one weekend of umpiring will pay for it all!

Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 15, 2014
I have been using the same big basics—-mask, chest protector, shin guards, etc for over 15 years.
Shirts last many years as do pants.
Plate/base shoes have lasted 10 years before having to be replaced.
Ball bags, indicators, lineup holders etc last forever until you lose them.
‘Bottom line—the first year costs the most but in my first year I did over 150 games at $40-60 a pop.

Jul 27, 2021
I've been the 'umpire of last resort' for my local rec league for 10 years. Call me if the game will be canceled if I don't do the game. Most years I make less than $240. This year I made $320. The league gives me 2 polo shirts. I bought shoes, legs, ball bag, indicator, brush, and catchers chest protector over the years. Dark pants or umpire grey pants preferred, but jeans are ok.

You think I did pretty good? I've been thinking about umpiring after my DD graduates HS for 4 years. I know the head of one of the local officials' associations and he's been after me for three years to do a few games. When my DD was in 2nd year 12's I got cornered by umpires twice during tournaments asking me to umpire. Thinking about umpiring a few fall ball tournaments this fall.

So, I took the plunge:
Officials registration fee: $63
Additional equipment I need to be an official umpire: $280

Wait, that does not include pants, and I'll need to spend $70 to $140 more on shirts if I want to do both days of a tournament. So, I've already spent more than I made this spring umpiring and still have more to spend before I can umpire a tournament or HS game!

A friend does AST tournaments. $70-$140 for different shirts, need a different hat, maybe a different ball bag. Another $60-70 in registration fees?

I thought this was going to be an easy way to make $100-$200 a weekend?

Oh, how much are umpires clinics going to cost?
I am always surprised that there isn't more support in the "System" for sports officials.

There should be more support. Every little bit does add up.

I would put out a request to Under Armour, Easton, All Stars, Champro, Wilson to provide an umpire gear kit to starting Refs/Umps. Shirts and hats should be given to incoming officials as the first Thank You instead of the first kick in the balls cause you have to have 10 shirts and 5 hats to cover the alphabet soup of different agencies.

It wouldn't even touch the bottom line of these companies.

Aug 25, 2019
I find paying umpire fees a bit ridiculous. I pay $200 a year to local USSS A i work, plus 10% a game, plus $80 for national USSS A reg. Then I pay $130 to umpire High School. With a shortage of umpires, these fees are not very welcoming to the club.

Jan 22, 2011
Update I still haven't bought a chest protector but have spent $330 to upgrade my gear and pay my registration/insurance to have a minimal set of gear to umpire USA softball. The friend of a friend who runs an official's association reached out to me yesterday to see if I would be willing to do a church league slow pitch game Thursday night. I told him I knew nothing about slow pitch and would want to attend umpiring training on the slow pitch game before doing a game.

Not sure if the official's organization charges a yearly fee to be a member of the organization.

Mar 1, 2013
Update I still haven't bought a chest protector but have spent $330 to upgrade my gear and pay my registration/insurance to have a minimal set of gear to umpire USA softball. The friend of a friend who runs an official's association reached out to me yesterday to see if I would be willing to do a church league slow pitch game Thursday night. I told him I knew nothing about slow pitch and would want to attend umpiring training on the slow pitch game before doing a game.

Not sure if the official's organization charges a yearly fee to be a member of the organization.
Slowpitch is definitely a different animal. I do both and at times I've done something silly in a SP game that doesn't apply because it's a FP habit (chasing the batter-runner all the way to third in a two man game for example).

Anyway, ball, strike, safe, out, foul, etc. Biggest difference is recognizing the strike zone and the pitch arc height and if they use the scoring plate (senior sp thing but it appears in other leagues as well). Sometimes there is a strike mat and then all you need to do is determine pitch height (legal/illegal) and if it hits the mat. There is also the not taking any guff from the players - especially in a church league. For some reason, pastors and deacons forget their manners when playing softball. Eject a pastor and you'll be the subject of some sermon on judgement :D

It's not for everyone for sure. If you try it and don't enjoy it or cannot pick it up, you don't have to continue. Honestly most of the SP I do now is Special Olympics games (which is by far the most fun I have calling ball).

Thanks for joining the club. Don't burn yourself out. It's not your fault/problem that there is a shortage of officials so don't let anyone guilt you in to taking a game/tournament because "we cannot play if you don't umpire". You do you and umpire as much or as little as you want. Just be professional, know your rules, and work your mechanics.

Feb 15, 2017
$1000 a year? I might spend $1000 every 5 years total. If I'm unlucky, lol. Take care of my gear and unis and no issues. Heven't bought new mask or shin guards in over 10 years. :)
The Florida heat and humidity take their toll. It's even more brutal when you're working at least three games back to back or iron manning it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I did it! Tuesday night I umpired my very first fastpitch game. HS rec level as a last-minute replacement. Went pretty smoothly as it was not high stakes, the pitchers threw a lot of strikes and the batters were willing to swing. Afterward the critiques were my zone was fairly small, but consistent, and I got the bang-bang plays right even though they went against the home team. The biggest takeaway I had was it's not easy. Calling fair/foul is pretty easy when there are chalk lines. Calling ball/strike is not as easy because you have to imagine the borders of the zone floating in space.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28