Cameron 2010

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2020
I suppose my opinion would be to work on keeping hands high until swing launch. get into a better athletic position like W=W said with flatter back creating a better starting posture. Land into a firm front side allowing the head to stay farther back over backside.

My opinion is that the swing is a ballistic launch getting the barrel out to the location of the pitch, then the brakes go on and the hands release to the pitch. If the body continues to 'swing' you get spinny. The release and extension phase of the swing is what actually pulls the body thru. But all the initial force should be aimed at the pitch location and the brakes applied to allow the whip and release.

again, all just my 2 cents with things that have helped my DD. good luck

Here is the post with the inverted top hand drill.
https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/help-with-my-14u-daughter.41029/post-613545
Thank you! I didn't realize how much more forward she went after her foot landed. We have been working on whipping through contact to extension. This is actually an improvement for a while she couldn't hit anything to the left side because she held contact for so long. We havent discussed the back elbow at all so this is interesting. I'm not so concerned about the height the of the hands but we should try and be consistent in one position. Really appreciate the breakdown. The good thing is she is having success and I attribute a lot of it to all of you.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
FB,

the Altuve reference was what the OP wants to model his dds swing after.

the hands being trapped was addressed.

the head coming forward or down or both is not what folks think it is. Front side ‘resistance‘ is not a mechanic. But more of a result from timing and launch. The legs straighten bc of that. We want a soft leg. It’s the biggest adjuster we have. It’s poorly misunderstood and taught imo. Her hitting position is top notch for her age. Its why she’s hitting well.

Agreed. the tee swing was not her best. There is no head movement forward at launch In games. But I would want some if adjusting to a tough pitch.. her hands are right. as you can see she has plenty of space to get her arms through. When she flattens out the lower back, she will be able to side bend better(create more space)to get to lower locations while on plane longer. But w that being said, she’s just 10.

1619184990784.gif

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
FB,

the Altuve reference was what the OP wants to model his dds swing after.

the hands being trapped was addressed.

the head coming forward or down or both is not what folks think it is. Front side ‘resistance‘ is not a mechanic. But more of a result from timing and launch. The legs straighten bc of that. We want a soft leg. It’s the biggest adjuster we have. It’s poorly misunderstood and taught imo. Her hitting position is top notch for her age. Its why she’s hitting well.

Agreed. the tee swing was not her best. There is no head movement forward at launch In games. But I would want some if adjusting to a tough pitch.. her hands are right. as you can see she has plenty of space to get her arms through. When she flattens out the lower back, she will be able to side bend better(create more space)to get to lower locations while on plane longer. But w that being said, she’s just 10.

View attachment 21795
If you were coaching this hitter, is there anything you would tell her to work on? Just flatten the back?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
If you were coaching this hitter, is there anything you would tell her to work on? Just flatten the back?

her bad habit is to load the hands early. I think this is the third or fourth time I have brought it to Dads attention. Besides that, her pelvis needs to be at a better angle at set up. I would soften the lead arm a bit as well. That’s about it. for me her set up and sequence are pretty good. her angle of her hands at stride could be better or different, but it works for her. She’s aggressive. she pulls the ball. I like that. She will need to learn to pull it oppo eventually. I think that’s just maturity. with the fundamentals she has now, I don’t think it’s going to be a problem.

Nov 26, 2020
Yesterday at practice we just worked on sequencing and she hit the ball good. We are playing up in a 12u tournament this weekend for the first time, so we are going to the batting cage tonight to hit from 40 feet. Should be an interesting adjustment.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Ask her if she lifts up her front foot or does it get lifted up? Try to get her to feel as if her front foot is being lifted up (weighting and slight rotation of the pelvis lifts front foot). Also have her hit long tee and produce line drives to right center field. Leave the bucket with her at home plate and you take the field as a 2nd baseman. Tell her hit line drives over dads head. Oh BTW she is way ahead of the average 10 year old.

Nov 26, 2020
We went 2-1 playing up in 12U in pool play. Cameron went 2-7 with one walk and one strikeout and two rbis. She made two great catches in the outfield and in the last game with the last batter up she went full speed into the fence trying to catch a long fouls ball. She’s a little banged up and we will see how her ankle is this morning but she was also very embarrassed. It was however a great hustle play - all out effort. This morning we play a good 12u team about to age up to 14. It will probably be a quick day.

Nov 26, 2020
We lost 7-3, Cameron was able to play and went 2 for 2.

Attachments

• 5C950EBD-7323-4D2B-BAB6-C122361A605C.jpeg
    5C950EBD-7323-4D2B-BAB6-C122361A605C.jpeg
    523.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 31233C24-B691-4FBF-969E-E31605752D2B.jpeg
    31233C24-B691-4FBF-969E-E31605752D2B.jpeg
    371.4 KB · Views: 7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06