Bunting help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Thanks so much for the replys. looks like it doesn't matter if she squares or pivots, I prefer to square when its a SAC. What about trying to hit the ball more on the end of the bat to deaden it more?

I disagree with that statement. If you are more square with both feet firmly on the ground you have better balance. I believe its the better choice, recommended by DD hitting coach.

Other question. Easier to "give" with the arms to deaden the ball than to try to place it on a particular spot on the bat barrel. Keep it simple.

Stand 10 - 15 feet away with a bucket of balls and throw them to different locations, making sure each player has great mechanics everytime. Bat always going down, not up, and let the ball hit the bat. The thought is to catch the ball with the bat. For RHB, angle the bat handle slighty in to make the ball go down the 3B line, handle slightly away from you to go down the 1B line.

Also, in general teach your pitchers to throw "high" or "low and inside" to a bunter.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Some of the things I like to teach:

• I prefer a pivot. Never much cared for squaring up. But to pivot, try doing it on the heel of the front foot and the toes of the back foot. If you pivot on the toes of both feet you wind up walking the tightrope -- or at least you should if your feet are in-line in a regular stance.
  • For the grip, I actually prefer both hands up the bat. I feel like the bunter gains more control and can soften the ball more. Others feel differently. I also have them wrap their hands around the bat instead of the pinch grip for the same reasons mentioned earlier -- bigger, heavier ball + weaker hands = pain and failure.
  • Bunt off the end of the bat, as mentioned. It deadens the ball better than hitting of the sweet spot, which these days can result in a home run even off a bunt. But how do you make that happen? By starting out covering only half the plate. If you cover the whole plate from the beginning, the sweet spot is over the middle. If the ball is inside you won't get the end of the bat there, and if it's over the middle you won't move the end of the bat there. With half a plate coverage you are set up for middle, can move inside, and will definitely get the end of the bat on outside pitches. Takes a little practice but it's not that tough. Also, having half a plate coverage means the top hand is in front of your chest, so if the ball is going to hit that exposed top hand you have bigger worries and will move.
  • Bat at the top of the strike zone, barrel higher than the handle. I like 45 degrees myself, but will take any angle that works.
  • Start high and work low. Many hitters will crouch down to start a bunt, then come up for a higher pitch. That's a recipe for a pop-up to the catcher.
  • Arms extended (but not locked), then pull back a little at contact. It's like catching a thrown ball -- give with it to soften it.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
USA Softball Merchandise I suggest this by Team USA and Lowe on slapping and bunting and how to COACH the short game. It would answer many of your questions and is a must for anyone coaching slappers! You do not move up in front of the box for one thing. They now teach the cross over style and you no longer square to bunt.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
SBFAMILY;53475You do not move up in front of the box for one thing. They now teach the cross over style and you no longer squre to bunt.[/QUOTE said:
What do you mean by "no longer square to bunt". What about squaring to 2B position (between 1st and 2B)? Are you bunting with your shoulders facing the 1B coach?

Dec 28, 2008
Biggest key to me is having them watch the ball all the way into the bat. Most players don't because they are afraid the ball will hit them. So they turn the part of their body that is the most protected (head) away and just stick the bat out. I force my players to watch it all the way in, and also reinforce the idea that they should catch the ball at the end of the bat where it is deadest, by having them choke up on the bat until they are about 8 inches from the end. Then I soft toss them balls that they have to bunt off that last 8 inches of the bat. If they don't want to get their hands hit, they learn to watch it all of the way in. Start by tossing socks or marshmallows or something that makes it fun, then wiffle balls, then club-k (softie balls) then move to real ones. Simple drill, fun to do and enforces VISION and getting over fear.

Jan 7, 2009
Left Coast
I second Ken in the hands up the bat approach. I find that very few other coaches teach it, but that it affords better bat control and a higher percentage of successful bunts. I don't think it yields any more hurt fingers than any other grip. The only trouble some of my TB kids have is HS coaches who want them to change.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
i agree with kens hands up the bat approach. All the theory aside it works! I practice bunts front tossing tennis balls. They are bouncy enough that if they can drop them down the players have the right "softness' to drop a full speed softball down. A front toss softball is just to easy to drop down cause its slow. Smaller ball helps with that eye on the ball focus too. Plus if they goof up, no broken fingers!

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
SoCalSoftballdad has some good points. You do not go back up, only down. You do not hit at the ball. You still want the barrel on the ball.

I've seen very good bunters who square and pivot. I personally prefer pivot as I feel squaring leaves the hitter too exposed.

May 8, 2009
Florida
I prefer the pivot also. It doesnt make sense to me if you have two methods - one fro sacrifice and on for bunting for a hit. However, if I have someone who squares I dont change it if she is successful with it. Just changed to wrapping the fingers also. I have two bats for bunting. one has a glove on the end (tee ball bat) to promote the idea of catching the ball, the other has colored tape on either side of the sweet spot. I ask them to bunt on the tape and call the color that was contacted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma