bunt defense question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 6, 2013
As said, it totally depends on your personnel. Last season, my first baseman was a vacuum cleaner at first, but not real quick on her toes. So, we crashed 3rd and P crashed first base side. Worked well for us. Not to mention, my first baseman has a good arm, and I trust her decision making on keeping the runner in check that advanced to second and may be advancing to third. On top of all that, I just flat out feel more comfortable with my infielders making the bang bang plays with tags and what not at the bags. They get hours of reps in it at practice. My outfielders, not as much.

But a couple points. We indeed sent SS to 3rd every time bunt was shown. We with first baseman back, second baseman was free to cover 2B so we didn't give up any free steals that way. It was understood by our girls that at any time bunt was shown this was our movement. It made it easier to have my outfielders always knowing where they were going, and we always had a backup for every base. This was important because with a runner on third, and the bunt applied, my 3rd baseman would usually turn and wheel the ball to third base if she fielded it. I wanted SS there because she had the quickest transition on getting the ball out of her glove and back home to get the runner trying to score.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoebeschultz