bucketdad catchers mitt problem

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
mitt was working great, though i wondered if it might be a little small. i caught a pitch in a way that stressed my thumb at the joint where it connects to the hand. i sucked it up and kept playing. every time i would catch for DD, i would re-aggrevate it the same way at least once until it got to the point where i would take off the glove and have to take a minute before i could resume catching. thats when i realized it wasn't a fluke, it had become a regular thing and i was making it worse.

does this symptom sound familiar to any of you? if so, is it caused by using a mitt that's too small?
i used my fielding glove for awhile tonight and then switched back to the catchers mitt. at about 45 minutes in, i caught one of those "kind of" low, glove side pitches that catches the glove in such a way that it torques my thumb at the joint. we stopped and I'm icing now as i type. i noticed the joint was kind of stiff/irritated all day today, from yesterday.

any advice is greatly appreciated!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yep. That is familiar. And speed of the pitch doesn't have anything to do with it. I have had a couple of 35mph pitches catch me there. Now, I wear the Evoshield thumb protector. You mold it to your thumb and then, it needs to fit in your glove.

Also, I have a batting glove that has padding in it. (Xprotex) I wear one or the other and I replace my mitt, every year. http://www.xprotex.com/collections/all/products/reaktr-2014-protective-fielding-glove

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Farmboydrose