bottom hand chuck-it drill- FYI

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I have been working on the one-hand/bottom-hand chuck-it drill with my dog before I try it on players.

I figure I need to really understand before trying to teach it. FFS input in the thread about grip was very helpful but I found out tonight an important factor is following my own advice (and many others on this board) and holding it primarily with the middle two fingers. I used the pinky a little for comfort but the index not at all and it made a significant difference!

Also, last week I used the two-handed, full-sized chuck it with a player who tends to roll her wrists- demonstrated the issue effectively and she was able to implement corrections to get the ball going where it should.

just a little feedback from the field for anyone who was considering this as a training tool.

Oct 21, 2012
Could you post a video? My DD has a tendency of rolling her wrist. If I could find a drill to help her it sure would help me.

Thanks
Chad

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
this shows a method for using the chuck it at about 2:10:
Softball Flaws and Fixes - Casting - MonkeySee
I am not advocating her teaching, it is just an example of using the chuck it. I agree about going for line drives but otherwise Caveat Emtor.
the hitter who rolls her wrists tends to whip the ball into the ground. tell her about where you want her to hit the ball and she can adjust.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom