Best 1st baseman’s glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 19, 2024
I believe DD is deciding between an a2000 or a mizuno- any opinions? For the a2000, what material would be recommended? Spin control or no spin control?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I believe DD is deciding between an a2000 or a mizuno- any opinions? For the a2000, what material would be recommended? Spin control or no spin control?
Both make great gloves. As for Spin Control, they can be dirt magnets and hard to clean. I find them a gimmick, but that's just my opinion.

Dec 12, 2023
Yeah that cost would be out of our budget range for sure 😂

Normal Nokonas are only a bit more than A2000/Mizuno. Aside from the Pro Limited (hard to find, usually ship from Japan AFAIK) the Mizuno aren't going to be as nice as a HoH/A2000/A2K from what I've worn.

The Walnut series (X'd out below) aren't my favorite because of the full-grain steerhide. The others are overall very nice but green checks are gloves I've worn myself.
It sucks that basically everything but the walnut line can't be found in many places.

My DD is on her 2nd A2000 and really likes them, but likes the Nokonas I've got more lol.

The catcher's mitt I've got is just absurdly nicer than others, only thing that has come close to it for me is the All-Star baseball glove I've got for working with my won.

1722270934524.png

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Normal Nokonas are only a bit more than A2000/Mizuno. Aside from the Pro Limited (hard to find, usually ship from Japan AFAIK) the Mizuno aren't going to be as nice as a HoH/A2000/A2K from what I've worn.

The Walnut series (X'd out below) aren't my favorite because of the full-grain steerhide. The others are overall very nice but green checks are gloves I've worn myself.
It sucks that basically everything but the walnut line can't be found in many places.

My DD is on her 2nd A2000 and really likes them, but likes the Nokonas I've got more lol.

The catcher's mitt I've got is just absurdly nicer than others, only thing that has come close to it for me is the All-Star baseball glove I've got for working with my won.

View attachment 29896
While I love the Nokona gloves, it isn't correct to say they're only a bit more expensive. The A2000 and Rawlings HOH both retail for $300. The Pro Preferred and A2K are $380-$400. The Nokonas you have checked off are at least 25% more expensive than the PP and A2K and at least 65% more expensive than the HOH and A2000. You can customize either of them for less than the Nokona costs.

Again, I am not knocking their gloves, but they are expensive. And the prices above are without my discount.

The good thing is most of the mitts you posted don't have velcro straps...

My daughter had the A-V3250 catcher's mitt and hated it. She replaced it with a custom Rawlings HOH with much better padding.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogoff1968