BB player leaves UConn

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My OP was about Samarie Walker. Her exit leaves them short and some comments say that they won't make the final 4. I find that prediction to be early, but time will tell.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
My OP was about Samarie Walker. Her exit leaves them short and some comments say that they won't make the final 4. I find that prediction to be early, but time will tell.

I knew that Amy! And, as an ardent Huskies BB fan (more of the women, than the men), this does leave them very thin in the post. And w/ their best 3-point shooter (Caroline Doty) out for the entire season (again) w/ an ACL, I don't think Maya Moore has enough support now to win it all again. I still think they have enough for the Final 4. (I can't help but imagine how good they'b be this year if Delle Donne was there though!)

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
These kids are recruited at age 14, so I very much buy that she was made to do it.You verbal, you get the accolades. The HS, town, family and teammates are talking about it. Your dad has spent $10,000/yr. since you were 10. So, what was she supposed to do? Who wants to disappoint their dad?

I heard my nephew tell his DD that it would kill him, if she ever quit softball. :mad:

One of the other UConn recruits that had been #1 in the country, hadn't wanted to play BB since she was 15. She missed her hs graduation, to get to UConn. After 1 weekend, she went home and admitted that she didn't want to play. She stayed local and played volleyball. Money was not a problem for her family.

Amy, I agree. My daughter just returned from a Big 10 University camp where they put on a small player's clinic and then played a round robin tournament. The coach of this university commented that this practice of recruiting 14 year olds has to stop BUT that everyone runs the chance that they are going to lose out on "the next big recurit" if they don't show interest. The reason = Parents want that attention given to their players. I don't disagree. This coach commented that she is now going to leave a spot or two open for some seniors that she thinks she likes rather than jumping at the gun for a 14 year old who might verbal. Heck, this coach even said that there were girls in this camp she liked better than some of the girls who have verballed to her. As she pointed out, for some, the verball in some also signals the end of the process and so put it on cruise control. (Not suggested a lot but some.)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Who was it that said "If shoulda, coulda, woulda, won games.....?"

Baylor's point guard walked off the team, just prior to the season, really leaving them in the lurch.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
How many of us at that age even knew what we wanted to major in? I think many forget why we go to college and few if any make a living at softball after college. Softball is a way to college, but you better pick the school based on other things than a sport you want to play. Plus I have to agree I have seen to many parents push the kid and then when they get old enough to be in charge they do want they wanted to do. Not play softball. Best catcher I ever had in high school played travel ball , 4.0 student. Math major, went to at large big ten school and first thing she told them. I do not want to play softball anymore! Let your kids live their own life.

May 25, 2010
DelleDonne was a huge star coming out of high school and it was a national sports news story when she decided to walk away from the game. I think what fueled the disappointment for the sports marketers out there was the fact that she was so pretty and without question, the profiteers were looking for her to become one of the future faces of the WNBA and professional women's sports, in general.

Just checked a few of the box scores and although she was giving them some quality minutes off the bench each game, this team is so deep that I don't think her absence will hurt at all. I'm sure her teammates loved her and the chemistry won't be the same without her, but the mark of true championship teams is that when one goes down, the others step up and I'd expect to see that with the (Lady) Huskies.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Just checked a few of the box scores and although she (Walker) was giving them some quality minutes off the bench each game, this team is so deep that I don't think her absence will hurt at all. I'm sure her teammates loved her and the chemistry won't be the same without her, but the mark of true championship teams is that when one goes down, the others step up and I'd expect to see that with the (Lady) Huskies.

This team does not have the same experience and depth as UConn teams of the past. We Husky fans have become spoiled - unfortunately anything less than a 3rd consectutive National Championship will be viewed as a dissapointment by many. Talk about pressure on young female athletes. Their approach was never to win 90 games in a row, it was simply to practice and play the best that they possibly could every day. Further proof that small and manageable daily goals can lead to significant and improbable long-term achievements.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My nephew played soccer at a very high level. Traveled the country playing on an elite team. Olympic Development Program goal keeper at the state and regional level, All State First Team for HS. Now that he is 18 he refuses to play soccer for college or travel. He could play for 90% of the Division 1 programs but he is done. Wants to go to college, fit in have fun and maybe play inter-mural soccer as a forward, but other then that he is done.

It happens, kids are put into a situation by their parents and they don't know how to back out.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The ones that speak up, are a lot more healthier for it.

My DD didn't want to go to college. She went to cosmetology school and waits tables. She loves it. I said that I would rather be taking 14 hours of classes, somewhere. She said "I'm not you." I am certain that she could have started anywhere but at the top tier of softball programs, too.

Jul 11, 2009
Samarie is from Dayton (about 60 miles from me) and we get the Dayton paper. There was a story in there that said when she was home for the holidays she spoke about how much she loved the coach and playing for him. So her decision caught everyone off guard. Heck she is young and there may be other things going on in background that people don't know about. Hopefully her decision is about what is best for her.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck