Batter runner advancing to 2b without steping the inner 1b

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2010
Somewhere in Malaysia
A batter runner advancing to 1b and just stepping to the outer 1b (I don't the proper term for that base) and then (continously) advancing to the 2b without stepping the inner 1b. Is he considered miss the 1b?

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
While different associations/rule sets do have different interpretations of how the double base can be used, I believe that they all allow a batter-runner to use either base when rounding first- if no play is being made at first base.

Mar 7, 2011
SE Texas
An umpire explained to me that if a play was being made at first base, then the batter-runner MUST use the safety base; however, if no play is being made in the vicinity of first base, then batter-runner is allowed to use either base WHEN PASSING THE FIRST TIME. Once passed the base, the runner must use the inside base only.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
ASA Rule 8.M.2: Whenever a play is being made by an infielder on the batter-runner, the defense must use the white portion and the batter-runner the colored portion.
ASA Rule 8.M.4: On extra base hits or balls hit to the outfield, the batter-runner may touch the white or colored portion.

So, when the RF is making a play on the runner, the runner can touch either base.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
ecflyguy: That may be true for some sanctioning bodies. Definitely not true for ASA or NFHS rule sets. For those, after passing the base the runner may return to EITHER portion of the bag. Essentially, after any initial play the double base becomes "one big base" and the defense or offense may use either portion.

sluggers: I don't have my rule book handy, but wonder if you might be using an older copy. I believe that ASA revised their rule such that it no longer specifies the play at first must be made by "an infielder". The rule now applies to any play being made from anywhere on the field- including a play from the outfield.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
BretMan.... My rule book is also 2005 edition but it says in Rule 8 section 2E that if the fielder uses the orange bag, the runner can use the white bag and run in fair territory during the throw to 1st. Does that mean it is considered one big bag all the time, or that the runner can only use the white bag if the fielder uses the orange bag during a throw to 1st? I thought the orange bag was for the runner to be able to stay out of the way and avoid a collision, and the fielder had to use the white bag. Could you staighten me out on the rules for double bag use in ASA? I think HS is different.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Well, you guys with the 2005 rule books are only six years out of date! :)

ASA revised their double first base rules in...2006. That was the year they introduced the "one big base" concept, and also the year that they removed the requirement for the play at first to be made "by an infielder".

In a nutshell...the revisions addressed a couple of problems with the double base. First, they recognized several situations where requiring the defense to use the white base and the batter-runner the colored one might actually be dangerous. For instance, if the fielder is making the play from in foul ground, requiring her to cross the runner's path to reach the white bag puts them on a collision course. The "safety base" ain't so darn safe when that happens! So they did add a couple of exceptions where the players may switch to the other base during the initial play at first.

After the runner passes first base, then the "all one big base" concept kicks in. After passing first, the runner may return to either portion of the base, lead off from either portion, or tag up on a fly ball from either portion. Likewise, the defense can use either portion to double off a runner who left too soon on a caught fly ball. After the runner passes first, it is no longer two separate 15" X 15" bases, but one large base measuring 15" X 30".

The high school rule followed suit the next year and is now essentially the same as ASA. Others (NSA, USSSA) are not. So it pays to know how your particular sanctioning body interprets this...and to have a rule book from this decade! :D:D:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321